Renewal

Taste and see that the Lord is good:
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Psalm 34:8


A year ago today I celebrated the birthday of one of my dearest friends, Karen. Charlene and I, along with her family and a few other friends, gathered at a hospice center to be with Karen, on what would be her last birthday. Karen would shed her earth suit one month to the day later. While we did not know the exact date, we all knew, as we sat with her that we would never celebrate with her again, this side of heaven. As this week began my thoughts continuously went to Karen, to that day, that Wednesday, one year ago.

Yesterday, on Wednesday, my daughter-in-love, Erin, gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, Abigail Claire. Abigail was not born on Karen’s birthday, which leaves February 10th as Karen’s birthday in my mind. No, in His gracious kindness, God sent us little Abigail on the Wednesday I had been regarding as a very sad day.

One year ago, on Wednesday February 10th, I would see my friend for the last time on this earth. In the remaining month of her life I was privileged to speak to her a few times but we were never physically together again. On that day, by His amazing graciousness, our Abba gave Karen a great day. She had quite a bit of strength for her condition. She enjoyed her birthday. She teased and laughed with us. It was not our normal celebration but it was definitely a celebration.

Yesterday, one year later, on Wednesday February 9th, our Abba in His perfect kindness placed into our family and into my arms a little bundle of preciousness. Abigail’s arrival came without complications or incidents. Early on the doctors expressed some concern to Erin and Jeffrey about Abigail’s development. Well, she’s here and she developed beautifully with ten fingers, ten toes, no syndromes or diseases.

This week had sad overtones to it for me and for my friend Charlene. We know, of course, that Karen is happy, celebrating every day with her dearest friend Jesus but we miss her. We want to hear her tell us to walk faster or put down that cookie. But God (two of my favorite words!) in His mercy, sent new life to brighten our sad days.

Abigail is evidence that in Christ all things are made new. (2 Corinthians 5:17-18) She is a reminder that though weeping comes in the night, joy comes in the morning. (Psalm 30:5b) In his perfect nail scarred hands Jesus takes our brokenness and makes it whole. To God, to Jesus, to the Spirit who gives us life, be all the glory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight