Changing My Mind

Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me or see in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:8-9


The last few days had been extremely disappointing. I had come to a couple of difficult and sad realizations. Thank God I have learned to take those disappointments and trials to the Cross and I’m even getting better at leaving them there. Having spent some time with God discussing my sadness I moved on into my day. As I was getting ready for the day this little song my grandbabies love kept playing over and over in my head. To say it is an annoying little song is a vast understatement. I asked God to replace it with something from Scripture. “Just put in my head what you want me to hear.” I prayed and the above verse came immediately.

My thoughts had been centered on sad things, things that are not right or noble certainly not pure or admirable. The little song is completely innocuous but it wasn’t helping me focus on what is right or lovely in my life. It was just irritating me. I was very grateful for the words from Philippians and I did feel the peace that is promised in the second half of verse 9.

Prior to allowing that verse into my head I was ready for an argument. Do you know that feeling? There isn’t anything specific to argue about, nothing really needs settling but you know that it wouldn’t take much to set you off. God is so merciful. He met me in that moment and refocused my thoughts. He directed me to see the things in life that are pure, noble and true. I was so grateful.

A few hours later I was with a large group of people including a couple of people who are at the core of my angst. It would have been quite easy to revert to the earlier pugilist stance. I even teased with my husband that God was testing my resolve. Once again I was to learn that God is more gracious than we could ever begin to know. As I was praying, fervently wanting to not react to the pinpricks of irritation I heard someone quoting this same Scripture. The words were exactly as they are written above but to me they began with, “Listen, here I am.”

That blessing, that confirmation that God is for us and is with us always, allowed me to be aware of the irritants without being irritated. I was so pleased, so grateful. I don’t know about you but I pray a lot for God to be with me in the moments. I know that He is there in my hours, days and years but it’s always the small things that threaten my faith. Time after time, incident after incident there He is. He stands beside me, He comforts me and now and again He even chastises me. The world is full of wrong, ignoble, impure and unlovely things but God is pure, noble and very lovely. To think in the way we are instructed here by Paul, removes a lot of pressure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight