Loving Preparations

In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there it prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. John 14:2-3

Last night my daughter-in-love, Erin, told me something very nice about my son Jeffrey. Erin just had a baby and Jeffrey had gone home, cleaned the house and prepared a place for the new baby as well as sprucing up the rest of the house for Erin. “Jeffrey was so sweet.” She told me.

Now to put this in context you have to know that Jeffrey and Erin have a great relationship but both of them have a wide sarcastic streak and a biting wit. They say things about each other, in jest, that would offend other people but to them it’s all in good fun. They tease. Erin has complimented Jeffrey before of course but I could see in her face that she was very impressed and pleased with his efforts. His reaction, when I shared it with him, was matter of fact, of course he made it nice for her, he loves her.

This week I have spent a lot of time thinking of my friend Karen who lives in one of the rooms in Abba’s house. She has seen what has been prepared for all of us. I wonder what her reaction was when she arrived. I think about it in terms of Erin’s reaction to Jeffrey’s preparation and I can only imagine the enormity of Karen’s delight.

My son is a lovely guy. He loves his wife and children. During the few days I spent with Isabelle and Samuel I was pleased to hear them talk about their mommy and daddy. These are children who are secure in their parent’s love for each other and for them. Certainly Daddy would get things ready for new baby, Abigail and for Mommy. Still, my son is human. He can be self-centered. He can forget important events. He can disappoint his loved ones. Jesus cannot.

Our Lord and Savior will never forget us, never fail to hear our cries and never leave us. He went ahead to prepare our eternal home. He paid a ridiculously high price for us. I think what Jeffrey did for Erin is an incredibly precious imitation of what Jesus has done for us. It thrills me to know that my son is a good and kind man. It also reminds me of how little we understand the love of Christ. Erin was pleasantly surprised when she went home but I bet Karen was far beyond surprised. I bet Karen was amazed beyond words I can use to describe it. Many of us do our best to imitate and reflect Christ’s love which is admirable but Christ’s love is truly unique.

I am excited to see what Jeffrey did for his girls and that reminds me of how excited I am to see what Jesus has done for us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight