Forgiving

“And when you stand there praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” Mark 11:25

“Forgive us our debts also, as we forgive our debtors.” Matthew 6:12


“No one can teach forgiveness like the forgiven.” I read this statement a few weeks ago in a book written by Beth Moore. I knew as soon as I read it that I would borrow it from her eventually. I just didn’t know what God would have me say. In looking at it again today I realized that I know a lot about forgiveness from the perspective of the forgiver and the forgiven. I learned some very profound truths from my pastor and friend, B.E. Palmer, many years ago. Recently I learned some very basic truths from my granddaughter Madelyn.

B.E. taught me about the continuousness of Biblical forgiveness. He explained that the words used in Scripture find their roots in words that are not finite but continuous. To say that he delivered bad news with that teaching is an understatement. I was in the midst of something incredibly painful. I had forgiven and forgiven and forgiven again, all without a word of apology or even explanation from my offenders. I wanted to see an end to it. The teaching that B.E. shared was not going to allow an end. As long as I draw breath I have to be forgiving toward those people. The teaching was solid and I knew it. Why? Because B.E. is one of those people of whom much has been forgiven. That made me him an excellent teacher on the topic. He did give me some tips to keep me sane and to keep me on track, but many times I’ve wished I hadn’t been taught so well.

Although she is amazingly well spoken for her age, Madelyn is not an eloquent speaker. Madelyn is three. She likes to get her way and when she doesn’t she throws a little fit. (Little being a vast understatement. The girl could scream down a large building!) A week or so ago she and her sister Faith spent the night with us. Madelyn got in trouble and missed both story time and the movie. When I saw her a few days later she assured me that next time she will be good. At the mention of the story she reminded me that she missed it. “I was not eat my dinner and then I was naughty and screaming. Next time I eat and not do naughty things. I’m so sorry!” This statement was accompanied with hugs and kisses. The child can work a room! I assured her that she was forgiven and that I hoped she was sincere about next time. She isn’t. The next time part is a pipe dream. Next time means nothing to Madelyn. Forgiveness means everything. She doesn’t want the people in her world irritated with her. She is quick to forgive because she wants quick forgiveness. She lives that part of the Lord’s Prayer very well.

Forgiveness is not leverage, as some assume. It is not an instrument of control. It is not the means to an end. Forgiveness is a gift. It must be freely given without thought to how it will be received or even if it will be received. When our Father in heaven showers forgiveness on us, (and when doesn’t he?) he expects us to shower it on our offenders as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight