Limitations


 

You want something but you don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight You do not have because you do not ask.
James 4:2


Just a few days ago I was asked to pray for someone very dear to me. This man is in desparate need of God's healing mercies. As soon as I received the request I went to my knees. I prayed fervently for the disease to be removed from his body. That's what I would want him to pray for me, so that is what I prayed for him.
The day after receiving the news I was speaking with a mutual acquaintance about the man's illness. She told me that she was praying for him to get through what is in front of him in faith and with peace. What? Keep in mind, in the group of people we have in common this woman is seen as a paragon of faith, a woman of great wisdom and I, well, let's be tactful and just say they don't see me as much of anything. Here she was, this person all these other people look up to, telling me to pray for our friend's comfort and continued faith as he faces his trial. In her eyes, the illness, the surgery, the trial, are all facts. These are things that will happen. He will become much more ill. He will have surgery. He will face challenges to his faith.

He may. I'm not saying he won't. What I am saying is why in the free world is she just accepting this? Taking it lying down, so to speak. Where is the faith in that?

So I told her what I was praying for, perfect and complete healing. She basically laughed at me. “Oh sure, we all want that but that would be....”

“A miracle?” I interrupted. “Don't we believe in the God of miracles?”

As the verse above states, we have not because we ask not. I'm not saying for a second that every answer is yes but we have to ask.

My granddaughter Madelyn said at one point that this year she just wants a birthday dinner, not a party. She's eight. She'll change her mind a thousand times by September but what if she never told her mom that? What if in her heart she wanted a party but only asked for the dinner. Wouldn't my daughter be inclined to give her child what she said she wanted? God never oversteps. If we're telling Him that all we want is a little peace in the storm then why would He end the storm? I do not pretend to know God's plan for my friend. This I do know, I believe in a God of miracles and if it is in His will He can and will heal my friend. Therefore, I'm asking for total healing and praying that whatever God's will may be, that my friend will indeed feel His love and mercy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight