Encouragers


 

Carry each others burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people especially to those who belong to the family of believers.  Galatians 6:2, 10

Have you ever taken a spiritual gifts test? If so, were you surprised at the results? Most people have something of an idea going into the test. There are people who are great at leading groups, giving, praying or teaching and they take the test fully expecting those results. Several years ago I was one of those people. I've spent most of my life in some form of teaching. While still in high school I taught guitar lessons. In college I got a job at a private school in the pre-school department, eventually teaching pre-K there and to this day my day job is in a classroom. When my assessment results included teacher I was not at all surprised. When they include exhortation I was a little taken back.

It literally means “ a communication emphatically urging someone to do something.” Yuk! That sounds like nagging. The spiritual gift is a bit different. That is, “to encourage, to embolden, to cheer, to advise” and the person of the Bible used to illustrate this gift is Barnabas. Ah, much better. Still, I wasn't sure that was me. An encourager? I hoped so. It sounded great but was it me? Many, many years later, I have come to realize it is me and I am so thankful for that gift.

The last few weeks have been less than my best for various reasons and I've begun to question almost everything, including my spiritual growth. Through it all, I have tried to stay focused on God, His Word, His glory. At times I've done pretty well but other times, I know I've fallen short, way, way short. In response, I've attempted to play to my gifts, my strengths if you will, and find ways to be an encourager. Much harder when you're feeling discouraged and yet somehow doors opened all around me to give, a word here, a little gift there and I felt if not better, at least faithful. In those moments of encouraging, my joy was pure, untarnished by circumstances.

Guess what happened next? Our Abba, in His amazing grace and mercy sent encouragers to me! Within two hours, just yesterday, I received two lovely cards and one text message. The text message even included 3 John 1-8. Wow!

It is important that we all lift each other up, in prayers, by words and by actions. Some of us, are gifted to do just that to family, to friends, to strangers (Although be prepared for the flack you might get from those closest to you when you speak to a stranger, no matter how many times you quote Hebrews 13:2.) and some find it too hard and will do it only in prayer. When you do continue to encourage others, to pray for someone else, to give time, talent or money when your own resources are feeling so very low, that is when God will do great things for you. Faithful action will result in a blessing every single time.

Be encouraged today, by these words, by Abba's love and then go and encourage someone else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows