Confidence


 
Moses said to the Lord, “O, Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.”
Exodus 4:10

Last week I went with my class to see our school play. It was very well done. In fact I often had to remind myself that these “actors” were really elementary school children. Several caught my eye. I was so pleased to see that a friend's child had some real stage presence. He had a smaller speaking part but even when he wasn't speaking, he was acting, not just standing there. There were others as well that seemed to be in their element. One child, however stood out from the crowd.

As I thought about him, about my friend Martha who'd had the good sense to cast him in the role, one of the main roles, I was reminded of Moses.

When God called Moses, Moses hesitated, claiming that his speech impediment would hold him back. God disagreed, eventually giving Moses the grace to have his brother Aaron come and speak for him. Still, God wanted Moses to lead, to command respect, to trust that God's will was best. Fortunately Moses obeyed God but he did so hesitantly.

Back to the play. This little guy who stole my heart from sentence one, had something in common with Moses. He too has a speech impediment, not a small one either. This isn't something you think you might have heard here and there. This is obvious at every single word with an R in it. Now, let me tell you that the play was about pirates (piwates) on a ship called the Curry Bean (Cuwwy Bean). See what I'm saying?

First you have to commend this kid for trying out for a play that is clearly going to challenge his abilities. Then, you have to look at my friend Martha. This boy was not her only option. There were plenty of kids, boys and girls, trying out for this play, many of whom do not have speech issues. Did Martha look at this little guy and say, “Oh sure, he's great. His delivery is spot on and he is understatedly hilarious but that speech!” No. Nor did she think about the phone calls from the mommies who would not understand why this child and not theirs who by the way can, by the way, speak clearly. No she didn't! She looked and she saw a kid with talent, a kid who wasn't going to let a slight problem hold him back. She saw him and she went for it. She was right. He was amazing.

Kudos to the kid for seeing in himself what we were all blessed to see during the show and kudos to Martha for not being a Moses. She didn't say “Oh but Lord, how will this work?” She took a leap of faith and it was rewarded.

You may say she got “lucky” but I will tell you that neither of us believe in luck. We believe in blessings and in following God's pointing finger. I know a lot of prayer went into all of Martha's decisions about that play. If she had any Moses style misgivings, she put them aside and cast the best actor(s). Actors, because my other friend's child, the one who drew the eyes of the audience and delivered his lines with flair, acting them not just speaking words.... Yeah, he has a bit of speech issue too.

The whole thing just proves to me that God is strong in what we see as our weaknesses. He is faithful and He has given us all talents. Let's follow the example of those two young boys and of Martha and not be afraid to use them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows