Victorious Living


 

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him
and by his wounds we are healed. (emphasis mine)
Isaiah 53:5

A few weeks ago I ended up with deep scratches on the edge of my hand and wrist. I have no idea how they got there and that detail is completely unimportant anyway. What is important is that the wounds are, for the most part, healed. If you looked at my hand today you wouldn't see anything there but if you touched my hand or wrist you'd feel them. I feel them several times a day when I wash my hands or put on lotion. I can't see them but I know they're there.

When I first noticed this, that I could feel what I could not see, I thought of other wounds, things I carry but don't mention. I know that I am not alone in this. Everyone has wounds and my bet is that everyone has wounds that no one sees, scars that are known only to the wounded one and maybe one or two close confidants.

Why do we keep those wounds a secret? Shame? Fear? Guilt? I believe that all of those are possible reasons. I also think that there is one more, a better one. We're over letting them define us. I am not a sum of things done to me, I am the product of God's grace.

There are hurts in my life that are long forgiven and even longer over but every now and then, the pain comes back. I'm reminded that once upon a time.... and in those moments I have two choices. I can wallow in the pain, let it bring in ten friends and really take over my mood or I can remember that it has been healed.

Jesus has scars. Risen from the grave Jesus was able to show His disciples the marks on His hands and feet where the nails had been. He could show them the hole in His side where the sword piereced His flesh. His scars are evidence for us that all of our wounds have been healed. His scars are not objects of pity but evidence of Victory! I may still feel pain, the pain of loss being the most difficult one, but always I can know that healing is available. I can always know but I don't always embrace that knowledge right away. On those days, it is difficult to walk in the joy of the Lord. I may be sad, preoccupied or angry and that darkness stays until I get alone with Jesus and receive His love, mercy and victory. I try not to take that out on the people around me but even when I am able to mask the hurt it is still there. I may be smiling and seem to be just fine but inside there's a storm.

For the last few days, feeling the rough spots on my hand and wrist has reminded me of that. It has caused me to take a step back, give others a little more grace. Yes, they look as if all is well but is it? Are there rough spots on their hearts or souls that I cannot see? Are they not yet able to embrace the victory of the Resurrection?

This isn't a new concept for me. Everyone has wounds. Some people have actual physical wounds that I can see, a missing or broken limb, a scar or a maybe a limp. Those are easy. I see them and I feel sympathy. The ones that are the hardest are the ones I can't see, the ones that manifest as snarkiness, rudeness or cruelty. Those attitudes call for a response and while my flesh wants to react in kind or ignore that person I've decided I'd rather dispense grace. I'd rather give grace to someone who was indeed just being ugly than to withhold it from someone who truly needed it. That is victorious living and that is what my Abba wants for me and for you as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows