Suffering, Neat and Sort of Clean


For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted. He is able to aid those who are tempted. Hebrews 2:17-18

He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. Mark 8:31

There it is again, that nasty word, suffering. Oh how we love gentle Jesus meek and mild. We also love righteously indignant Jesus turning tables over and calling things as he sees them. (Mark 11:12-19, Matthew 23) It is easy for us to look at and talk about miraculous, loving, strong Jesus but what reaction do you have to the garden and the Cross?

Certainly I can’t speak for anyone else, although when I have confessed my feelings relating to the suffering Jesus, I have encountered similar reactions in others. Still, I do not presume to know how everyone reacts to the events in the last week of Jesus’ earthly ministry or the events that led to His death. I do know how I feel.

Reading the accounts in the Gospel is hard enough but pictures are the worst. Recently in the church we attend we’ve been studying the life of Jesus. Each week there is a montage of the life of Jesus from birth to resurrection. That of course takes us through the beatings and the crucifixion. I have literally turned my head or closed my eyes to avoid one picture in particular. In it Jesus has fallen to the ground (and the liturgical child in me hears, “Jesus falls for the third time” ) and He looks awful. Awful is actually a mild word. He looks exactly as He was, tortured. His mouth is distorted. His hands are outstretched, searching for some support, some comfort. Just writing that makes my stomach roll over.

For our own sensibilities sake we’ve cleaned up the suffering. For years we’ve looked at a still strong man but with blood on his face from the crown of thorns, some cuts and wounds but nothing terribly visceral. He suffered, yes, but He was God after all so it probably wasn’t that hard on Him. I think that is the message we are comfortable hearing.

Wrong! Jesus was God as well as man. We know that. His suffering however, happened to His fully human body. A week or so ago I watched as someone very dear to me suffered through some unavoidable pain. It was a necessary means to an end. I knew that the outcome would be worth it but that change my desire to take the pain away. Jesus' suffering was a necessary means to an end, the end being that we could have eternal life. He already had it all. He gave it up and suffered so that we could also have it all. In these days of Holy Week, think about that. That horrendous suffering happened to buy you life and protection, grace and mercy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight