Conformity...or Not


 

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-- his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2


The other day found myself fervently praying, not for the first time, to be different. It is one of my heart's deepest desire to make a difference for Jesus. It's not about fame or recognition. It's about not looking like everyone else, even those who claim to be Christian but live in ways that prove otherwise. I want to be different, to stand out, to be a bit odd but in a good way. There I was, praying it again and wondering just how I'd even know if that were happening, considering I live much of my life feeling like a square peg in a round hole.

That's when I realized just how amusing my prayer must be to my Father in heaven.

For years, years, I spent too much time, effort and prayer trying to fit in, worrying about being different. Think about it. As small children we just are who we are. No two year old gives much thought to what the other two year olds are wearing, watching, listening to or reading. They are simply who they are. Then elementary school hits and things start to change. By junior high the pressure to fit in is enormous. Oh kids talk about not conforming, of being individuals, all while wearing the “right” jeans, shoes and jackets, while having the same hairstyle and listening to the same music. If you told a teenager that she was just like all of her friends, she'd be insulted.

That need to fit in follows us most of our lives and far too often we make compromises to achieve it. So how odd that I am now praying not to fit in but in a very specific way. I accepted long ago that I don't fit in very well. I wasn't a “cool” kid and I'm not a “cool” adult. That isn't what I mean by being different.

What I want now is to stand out for my Savior, to look, act and truly be different. I want to be a fool for Christ, to take risks in His name, to go where he sends me even as my friends are calling me crazy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight