Marriage

 

This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;”
For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife
and they will become one flesh. Genesis 2:23a, 24


In the Quest study Bible there is a margin note that says “Interpersonal chaos would result from unrestricted, random and casual pairings. The cohesiveness that the family unit offers society would dissolve. To provide a solid basis for the family, God set up this lifetime commitment and relationship between a man and a woman. God intended that the fullest and most satisfying expression of two becoming one flesh would be found in the marital covenant.”

I am often accused of being narrow minded when it comes to marriage. I hear a lot of “not everyone has to be married.” True, I would not argue with that. Marriage is not for everyone. However, that does not mean that it is okay to enter into a pseudo marriage. That logic covers someone who chooses to remain single. It is not the argument to use to defend a situation where a man and a woman live as if they were married but just don't “bother” with the formality of getting married.

The other argument of course, is for same sex couples. Due to the fact that I am a strong supporter of marriage, I hear that I am “not fair” to homosexuals. First of all, to same sex couples and to heterosexual couples who just choose to live together may I say, not for the first time..... I agree with the rule. I honor the rule. I, however, did not make the rule.

Second, to the same sex proponents I would add, I was vehement about this long before that debate started. Years ago, when one of my own dear ones chose to move in with his girlfriend I became a bit unglued. It's just not right.

Does this make me narrow minded? Yes. But as I point out to that challenge, it's a narrow path. The Bible is the Truth. Again, I didn't write one word, one letter, in it but I love it, agree with it and try to honor it.

Reread the words from the Quest margin. “The cohesiveness of the family unit would dissolve.” Can you really disagree with that in 2016 America? If you can you haven't been in a school lately. There is a whole new vocabulary. Step-parents, baby mama, baby daddy, my dad's girlfriend, my mom's wife etc. etc. And who suffers the fallout? The children. Then again, not only the children but they are the innocents in the picture.

True commitment is a thing of the past in far too many ways. In that sense, I would say, God bless the same sex couples who at least want to say in some tangible way, “I'm choosing you.” It's preferable to “You're okay for now, but let's not get too crazy.” Or too comfortable or too secure. If the adults in a relationship aren't secure, aren't protected by a covenant made before God and man, then where will the children involved find their security?

Let me make sure to say this is not an indictment of any individual or group of people. Grace is not mine to dispense or withhold. As God floods my life with grace, I am called to be gracious to others. This is not about any person or people group. This is about agenda, the agenda that says traditional marriage is an antiquated concept. It is not! It is an ageless institution mandated by God, not by a government or a group of fanatics.

Family first is a slogan we see all the time and while circumstances like death or the unavoidable divorce can alter how that looks, the makeup of the basis of a family, one man, one woman, married to each other is not a choice. Chaos is resulting. It is our responsibility to pray that it stops.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows