Keeper


 

Do not judge others or you too will be judged. Matthew 7:1


There is a song I sing in my head when I'm tempted to put on my Judge Judy robe and bang my gavel at the actions of another person. The song is by the late Rich Mullins and is called “Brother's Keeper.” On being our brother's keeper, the chorus says, “I won't despise him for his weakness. I won't regard him for his strength.” Sounds great right? It is. We should love people, just love them. Based on? That's where the rub comes in.

Think of your very best friend. Why do you love that person? Now, your worst enemy. Why do you despise that person? Hm.... I bet you just thought of some strengths and weaknesses didn't you? Don't feel that I'm judging you, I do the same thing.

Ask me to describe my friend Mary and I'll tell you she is amazingly loyal. She is fun and beyond that she's funny, as in she has a great sense of humor. She's beautiful, physically, all that noble Greek influence. She is beautiful on the inside as well. She appreciates life. She rejoices with others and mourns with them, just as Scripture tells us to do. (Romans 12:15) Beyond all that, she's been my friend for, gulp, 48 years, so I love her in part, due to our shared experiences. I do not despise her weakness, I try to shore her up when she needs me, but I do regard her strengths.

Now, my worst enemy (humanly speaking not, you know, THE enemy) who shall remain nameless. She's hurtful, deliberately. She's a liar. She's shallow and cruel. She's weak in so many ways. She's tiresome. Ugh! I hate making this list... Mostly I try not to think about her. Suffice to say, I do not see very much strength and I do, God forgive me, despise her for her weakness.

I'm fairly sure that there are people in my life who would use some of the words I used for Mary, for me. I know that there are people who would use the words I used for the other one to describe me. I am despised and regarded by the people around me but not by God. He created me. He loves me with no thought to the things I agonize about or the ones in which I take a little pride. That is so hard for me to understand. It is unconditional love, no judgment, no measurements.

In His generosity Abba has given me Mary, who sees me in a similar way to the way I see her. Beyond that, He has given me my husband who will tell me I'm beautiful when I'm in cleaning clothes with my hair sticking out in twenty different directions and not say a word after I've spent a little time attempting to look pretty. Sometimes he notices the cleanup efforts and says, “You look nice” more out of habit than an actual appreciation for the outfit or makeup. To Otto, I am his bride and what I wear or how I wear it does not matter.

In that, I catch a glimpse of what it means to be loved by God who simply loves without agenda.

The judge robe is heavy and uncomfortable but sadly, familiar. I would like to leave it off permanently and follow another line of that song, not taking away anyone's freedom but rather, helping them learn to stand.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows