Great Privilege


 

Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Deuteronomy 11:18-19


The other day I had a wonderful opportunity to talk to my granddaughters, Faith and Madelyn about God's Word. Unfortunately the opportunity arose because someone had given the girls some very erroneous information about God. Thankfully they asked me if what the young man had said was correct. It took everything in me not to scream... No!

Instead I walked through the door they opened.

Faith started the conversation by telling me that this young man had told her there is no peace in heaven. I quickly countered that one by paraphrasing Revelation 21:4. When she went on to say that he had told her there aren't any houses there either I quoted John 14: 2-4. That is when Madelyn chimed in to tell us that this guy had told her that God is bad and all there is in heaven is war, just like here because God likes war.

With a slight concern for my blood pressure and that young man's life. I told both girls to stop and look at me, to listen carefully. I then quoted them John 15:13 and 1 John 3:16. We talked about those verses for a minute. Madelyn decided that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Faith told me that the next time he told her there were no houses in heaven she was going to tell him he was right. There are only mansions.

Great! I had an opportunity to share Scripture with my granddaughters and they quickly chose truth over nonsense. Then it occurred to me. They are ten and eight year old girls who don't particularly like the young man in question. What happens when it is someone they do like, someone they want to impress?

Before I could let myself worry about something that wasn't happening, I chose to be grateful for what was happening. My granddaughters asked me spiritual questions and by God's grace I had answers, answers that He provided. I choose to fix His Word in my heart and share it with my children, grandchildren and anyone who will offer me on opportunity. Because God first loved me, I can offer His love to other people. He has given me the desire for His Word. He has planted it in my heart. He has graciously given me a love for Scripture that has seen me through hard times, made the joyous times even brighter, given me answers for my own children( even when that was the last thing they wanted to hear) and now gives me a way to answer my granddaughters doubts and fears.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

All the answers we will ever need are available to us. We just have to know where to look.

Comments

  1. What a wonderful opportunity! Asking questions about God is always the best way to learn about him. So glad your girls were able--with your help--to think about what they were told, and find the truth! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows