By Grace

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
Matthew 7:12


Grace is an amazing thing. It comforts us, protect us, provides for us and certainly enables us. Just a few days ago I was given an opportunity to walk in grace, to offer grace to another person. My flesh wanted to scream! I wanted to rail against a clear injustice. See, the other person is wrong. That person is hurting not just me but many other people I love. Sadly, it's her choice to do that. The circumstances are such that all the power in the situation are in her hands.

There it was, an obvious offense, an affront and my humanity reared up ready for the fight but before I could throw the first verbal punch the Holy Spirit intervened. I spoke the truth in love. There was no sugar coating. I said what I needed to say but I said it in kindness, leaving room for future conversations and hope for moving past the hurt into a more loving place.

Note my use of the word I. I spoke the truth in love, I gave grace, I left room. Technically that is true. It was my voice but the words were gifts as was the tone of those words. God in His immense mercy and wisdom allowed me to live out one of my favorite verses, “Do justly, love mercy and walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8. My heart was bleeding in my chest. I felt hurt, betrayed and sad but my words and actions were covered by the Comforter. When it was all said and done I didn't have to add guilt to my list of negative emotions.

The three days between that conversation and this morning have been difficult. I cannot share this with anyone. Oh, I could but that would color the hearers' perceptions of the other person and that's not right. Sharing this just causes more hurt and I don't want that. So, I walk alone but not alone and maybe not even walking as the presence of the Holy Spirit is carrying me through. It's been a mixed bag of feeling so close to God and so grateful that His grace for me, allowed me to be gracious while feeling the sting of the incident.

This morning my Abba added another layer of blessing to this event. I realized that I have given the person who offended me a gift that I have wanted for years from someone else. I will never receive that gift but that's okay because now I have something so very much better. I can see God moving in me through this. I've been able to live our Matthew 7:12 and Micah 6:8. The thrill of obedient behavior is running through me and it is so great! In this I've learned so much about grace, obedience and justice. I am reminded of Joseph and his brothers. But Joseph said to them, “Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good...” Genesis 50:19-20a

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows