Temptation


. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one.

Matthew 6:13


Are those words familiar to you? They come from the answer Jesus gave when his apostles asked him how they should pray. He instructed them with the words we refer to as the Lord's Prayer or the Our Father. It is an all encompassing prayer, acknowledging God's sovereignty, submitting to His will, asking for His provision and His protection.
“Lead us not into temptation.” I saw a t-shirt once that said, “Lead me not into temptation. I can find it myself.” Amen! I don't even have to look! I woke up this morning steeped in temptations. I was tempted to be fearful due to the content of my dreams. I was tempted to feel sorry for myself with no apparent motivation. I was tempted to complain, though about what I'm not really sure. That's where the hint that all of this temptation was piling up and needed to be demolish, came to mind.

The overwhelming feeling of dissatisfaction seemed out of line, considering that my plans for the day involve several of my favorite people, a celebration and the opportunity to give to others. Hm.... so what's the problem? Oh right, the enemy doesn't want me to do any of those things.

It could very easily have turned into an ugly morning, leading to a stressful afternoon, sucking all the joy out of the evening. No! Here's what happened next.

Not at all willing to walk around in discomfort I went to prayer. I was completely unable to focus. Every item in the room led to a distraction and many of those led to negative thoughts. I closed my eyes, not much better. Then I felt the gentle nudge of the Holy Spirit, “You're a writer, write.” So I did. I wrote my prayers, praise, needs, thanksgivings and I became very aware of the presence of my Abba. It could have been a bad day but God..... Those are two of my favorite words because when we acknowledge God's presence with us, things get brighter.

As I read through my devotional messages one referenced the Lord's prayer and that's when it all came together. “Lead me not into temptation” is followed by “but deliver us from the evil one.” Jesus knows that temptations will come. As a man He was tempted. He knows the answer is to run to Abba, to submit to “our Father in heaven” and allow Him to “deliver us from the evil one. “

The choice is always our own. Give into the temptations or turn them over to God. In other words, bondage or freedom. I promise you no matter how appealing the temptation might be, it is not from God therefore it will not lead to peace, joy or liberty. Resist the devil, run to your Father and experience victorious joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight