My Brother Says


 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this; While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Years ago I knew two brothers who had very different approaches to life. They were a great compliment to each other, best friends. One however, was not as kind as the other.  Whether intentional or not,  brother A made it clear to  brother B that he, A  was brighter, smarter and more capable. When brother B was in school his teacher read a story about two sisters. One was beautiful and the other was plain. The plain one, jealous of the beautiful one constantly told her sister how ugly she was, how no one found her attractive. The beautiful sister began to see herself that way. She began to behave as if she were homely and she hid from people. The teacher asked the class if they thought such mind control was truly possible. Brother B answered that yes, he did think it could happen. When the teacher asked why he replied, “If my brother says I’m dumb, I’m dumb.” Ouch!
That seems ridiculous. The sisters had mirrors, right? The brothers had life experiences and evidence that while they were different, they were both capable, intelligent boys. To me it’s further proof that sticks and stones have nothing on words. Words can build up and words can destroy.

So let’s take a look at what my(our) brother Jesus says. He says that he came to bring us life. (John 10:10)  He says that we are forgiven. (John1:29) He says that by claiming him as our Lord we are saved. (Romans 10:13) Do you believe it?

I do and when I listen to his voice, to the voice of my brother who loves me more than I can comprehend, I walk in confidence and truth. It’s when I listen to other voices that I lose confidence.
Look at the brothers and sisters again. Those relationships were primary. That plain sister was most important to the pretty sister. Brother A was extremely influential to brother B. 

If we make our relationship with Jesus the top priority in our lives, if we give him full authority and place our whole trust in him then we will know who we are. We will know that we are found, forgiven and free. We will know that we are more than conquerors and that nothing can take those gifts away. And should anyone question us we need only say, “My brother says…..”

Listen to the voice of our brother when the world is attacking you. He is perfect and every word that comes from his mouth is perfect. Amen!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows