Lost


“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’” Luke 15:8-9

 
A few weeks ago I lost a pendant.  My husband made it for me so it has some sentimental value and it is a fairly pricey piece but neither of those facts are the main point here.

I lost the pendant after taking it out to show my husband’s relatives. I set it on the table next to the display of all of his other pieces. Then a few days ago I noticed that it was missing. My husband and then a good friend teased that perhaps one of the relatives had taken it. We knew they hadn’t, wouldn’t but that’s a side fact as well.
Not wanting to be without it or to disappoint my honey because I lost it, I prayed that I would find it. I looked in the places I was fairly sure it should be but it wasn’t in any of those places. I then asked a couple of friends to pray with me that I would find it. Yesterday I did.

While the family was looking at the real jewelry two of my granddaughters were looking at some old pieces I keep around for them to use for dress up.  Yesterday when I was cleaning off my dresser I opened the tin that I have for those old pieces and there, right on top, was my pendant. YAY!
Thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus! I was so happy. I thought of the women with the lost coin and felt a kinship with her. I went straight in to tell my husband. He was happy but not nearly as happy and relieved as I was.

It wasn’t until this morning that I realized the greater significance of the whole experience. I felt awful that the pendant was missing. Certainly there was the chance that with the cleanup of a big family dinner it could have been thrown away. Still I held onto the thought that it was somewhere in the house.

Whenever I felt panic, disappointment or guilt trying to overtake me, I would simply speak to my Father. My prayer/conversation went something like this. “Abba, I know you know where the pendant is, please show me.” I never got panicky nor did guilt or fear take over.

That was my revelation this morning. There was a very good chance that the pendant was gone forever. It isn’t like I can order a new one. My husband’s jewelry is unique. He makes one of a kind pieces with natural gemstones. Could he come close to the first one? Yes. Would it be exactly the same? No. Still, even knowing that, my hope and faith were in my Lord. Each time the negative thoughts came up I just gave it to my Father. Each time I remained calm secure in his perfect plan.
I found the pendant and of course I’m thrilled. I know, however that finding the pendant wasn’t the point. It was finding my peace in my Father’s love that is the truly important aspect.

This morning I realized how many times I pray for His will and then go right on ahead with my own. If I leave all of my concerns in His perfectly capable hands, all will go well. No matter what the outcome I will have peace that passes understanding. (Philippians 4:7)

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows