Blessed Assurance



Then he said to the people, “Fill four large jars with water and pour it on the offering on the wood.”
“Do it again,” he said and they did it again.
“Do it a third time,” he ordered and they did it a third time. The water ran down around the altar and even filled the trench.
Then the fire of the Lord fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench. 1 Kings 18:33b-35, 38

 
Yesterday I was praying about something very dear to my heart. As it often does the world had sent me a message that it is too late. Circumstances in my life make a positive answer to my prayer impossible. By worldly views that is probably true. Thank God, I don’t have to live by worldly views.
With the power and love of God in my mind, I began to pray, citing to my Father the words that had momentarily stolen my hope. I could almost see him smiling. He reminded me of his promise to me, of his perfect providence and care. Immediately I felt renewed.  Yes, the world had gotten in its punch but there is no real damage done. Feeling much more confident I prepared to go to the next thing with God. Turns out, he wasn’t finished talking. He gently reminded me of a song I really love, a song containing lyrics that always remind me of his great plan. I smiled thinking about that and then moved on.

A short while later I was in my car. I listened to a song I haven’t heard in a quite awhile and then a little testimony from one of the DJs began. I’ve heard it before so I switched stations and there was “my” song, or part of it. I heard about three-fourths of the song and smiled thinking that there was Abba, confirming his word.

God is amazing. We sing it. We read it. Some of us even speak it. God is amazing. Just when we think maybe this time he did forget, he comes through. Just when we think we can’t go one more step, he picks us up and just when we think he’s really put the finishing touch on a blessing, he heaps on more.

You’re probably ahead of me here but I tell you anyway.  I made my next radio shift during the kudos to our supporters, also known as the non-commercial commercial. Back to my original station choice I was just in time to catch the very last notes of one song and you guessed it, I’m sure, “my” song in its entirety.
There is a t-shirt that says, “When God made me he was just showing off.” I won’t get into my mixed feelings on that saying but I will say this, although I know God does not show off in any worldly sense, he does tend to go above and beyond.

The world view says my situation won’t change. It’s too late. There are too many variables and none of them are in my favor. You know what I say? Pour the water! My God is greater. He reigns over all circumstances and for him nothing  is impossible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows