Blessings

I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” Matthew 16:19

We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19


Some weeks are busier than others. I was in the middle of a particularly hectic week rushing home from work to make a dessert for a small group that was meeting in my home that evening when I got a phone call. It was from a member of the group just letting me know that she would be bringing some goodies for the meeting. “Oh bless you!” I said as I drove. As I finished the phone call I thought how truly I meant those words. If I were literally in the business of bestowing blessings, she would absolutely have been a recipient at that moment. She had just taken a task off of my hands that I didn’t quite have time to accomplish. It was a blessing to me and I wanted to return the favor.

I thought about it for quite awhile as I drove home, prepared dinner for my husband and got the house ready for the group. If we can bind and loose than can we bless? Further it brought me to the whole idea of how God treats us. God does not need a single thing from me. He is all, owns all and can do all. No phone call from me is going to lift a burden from His heart. Nothing I do is going to relieve stress from a being that is devoid of stress.

We love God because he first loved us. A friend of mine told me a story of her little boy’s answer when asked why he loved his mommy. He said, “Because she loves me.” In among the kindergarten answers of “she buys me stuff”, “she’s pretty” and “she cooks good” how precious it was to that mom to hear, “because she loves me.”

I really don’t think God needs our help. I think He allows us to help because He loves us. It is more evidence of His mercy that He allows us to serve and to feel useful. By blessing my day my friend made God’s heart happy. We are all able to please God when we bless His people. We are privileged to be His hands, feet, eyes, etc. in this world.

I hope my friend was blessed in at least the same measure that she blessed me. I’m pretty sure she was or will be. God is never outdone in generosity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows