Thanksgiving

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. Psalm 100:4

There is no school today or tomorrow or the next day…. For which I am extremely grateful. I’m so blessed to have a job and I’m thankful for that as well. The job, however, is a bit stressful at times and very tiring. It is also incredibly rewarding. Still, it’s just lovely to be home, to sit with my Father and not have to check the clock to be sure to leave on time, to sip my tea and to look over the hours in front of me knowing they are all mine. Today is Monday, this is my day. Tomorrow afternoon three of my grandchildren will arrive for a sleepover that puts them in position to help Grammy and Uncle Paul in our annual Thanksgiving prep. We are all quite excited about that, as usual.

Right now I am just happy to have this time to be able to think about all the things for which I am thankful. On Thanksgiving I will pass around our family notebook in which each person writes what he or she is thankful for. All the men will groan but they will do it. The children will happily do it and my sweet ladies will be very thoughtful about what they write. It’s a great tradition and I’m glad we have it. Even though everyone writes something we don’t even scratch the surface of the things that make us thankful.

I could give you my list of people and things for which I am grateful but honestly I don’t think you would care. What I can tell you is what I know today, on Thanksgiving and every day of the year. God is good all the time and all the time God is good.

Each night before I go to sleep I write at least three things for which I am grateful. Some days it doesn’t take much. Other days, the hard days I struggle, or I used to until I realized God was in each difficult moment. He stood by me in my pain, fear or humiliation. He held me, even if I couldn’t feel it at the time and at the end of the day I was there, able to see, think and write with a pen so, if nothing else came to mind, there were three things right there. Of course every day has something in it for which I can give thanks.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday by far. I love it. It just saddens me that far too many people have to be reminded to be thankful and that so many have no idea who they are thanking. Some may be able to get to “I’m thankful for” but not as far as “I’m thankful to.” On this Thanksgiving and on every day of our lives to God be the glory and the thanks.

And… to all of you who are reading, thank you for allowing me the opportunity to share my faith and my experiences of that faith with you. Happy Thanksgiving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight