When Trying Is Not Enough

“A new command I give you; Love one another as I have loved you, so you must love one another.” John 13:35

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8


Last Sunday our pastor preached about loving your neighbor, among other things. I throw in the “among other things” because the sermon was very good and Sam made a few significant points. The salient point to me was the one about loving our neighbor. The Scriptures Sam was quoting left no wiggle room. Jesus is quite direct on this issue and so was Sam. The reason that topic was hitting so close to home was that right after church I was going to “do the right thing” and spend some time with a couple of people who present me with a challenge right now, one in particular. And guess what? That guy is my neighbor and thanks to Jesus, and Sam’s presentation of his perspective, I knew that there were no other options.

It would be great to type in here about how I went forward and loved that neighbor as Jesus intended. I want to. I wanted to a bit before the sermon and I really wanted to after the sermon, after the reminder of how important love is to Jesus. What was already an exercise in mercy became an exercise of obedience and discipleship. I still wanted to “do the right thing” but beyond that I wanted to please my Father. I tried. To be as honest as I can be in my assessment of my own behavior I’m sure an onlooker would tell you that I succeeded. I was polite, inviting, and even friendly. I looked for things to appreciate and respect. Oh wait, there’s the issue. There is where loving my neighbor kind of falls apart. I was looking for reasons to love him. Jesus didn’t say, “Go out and find people who fit your idea of what is right and wrong and love them.” No, he said, “Love your neighbor.”

That kind of love does not depend on the recipient at all. It depends solely on the giver. I “tried” and in trying, I had already failed.

It is several days later and I have gone over the event in my head and with trusted “neighbors” more than a few times. Why? I’m looking for a loophole. If this guy’s behaviors and choices are odd enough or sinful enough then I’m off the hook right? I tried. Wrong! We are called to love as God loves us. So the answer to my queries about my feelings toward this guy who has the following things wrong with him, aka known as these particulars specks in his eyes, should be, take the plank of judgment out of your eye and love like God loves you, while you are still a sinner.

It would be lovely to say that seeing this truth my attitude did an immediate change. It hasn’t. I know I’m wrong, in a Pharisee/tax collector scenario with the two of us in lead roles, I am the Pharisee! I know that as well as I know that I can “try” to love this guy and the rest of my neighbors all day long and I can fail all day long. To succeed I have to let go and let God. I have to give love before he, or anyone else, gives me a reason. It isn’t easy. Sam’s sermon was certainly not the first one I’ve heard on the topic, not even the first one I’ve heard from him. It bears repeating and repeating because we have to get it. To love and serve our Father we have to love our neighbor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight