Because You’re Worth It

“For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’” Acts 17:28

Years ago the tagline for L’Oreal cosmetics was, “because you’re worth it.” L’Oreal products were a bit higher priced than their competitors. Instead of trying to deny that or explain why their products were worth more than the other guys’, they turned the tables. They didn’t say, “Hey look how great our stuff is, spend a little more.” No, they played on our self-esteem issues. “Look in the mirror, you’re worth it.” That, my friends is a slippery slope in more ways than one. That mirror will tell one person they are worth it and another they may as well buy the cheap stuff, because there is no hope. That slope is unimportant to me. The one that I think about, a lot, is the one that concerns my spiritual health. Maybe I am worth an extra dollar or two, but why? And more to the point how does my Father want me to spend those dollars? How does He want me to measure my worthiness?

Here, in this world we measure worth in terms of dollars and cents, beauty, educational achievements, and level of success. Some of the most influential people in today’s society aren’t very nice. They may be wealthy, pleasing to the eye and even quite popular in their own circles but how did they get there? Who are they? Who do they serve?

We hear a lot about self-worth and self-esteem. Hm, see the problem with those terms? They start with self. The best way to realize one’s worth is to look away from the mirror, the bank balance, the diploma and straight into the heart of God. That is where we find our worth. Our proximity to the King of kings determines what and who we are.

I have purchased some L’Oreal products over the years. I have allowed myself some little indulgences over the years of my life. That is okay. God has provided for me, at times, to splurge a bit. Those splurges don’t happen because I’m “worth it.” They happen because I am loved.

Everything I have comes from the Father of the Heavenly lights. (James 1:17). I am worth it, whatever “it” is because I am a child of God. Without my Father’s love I am worthless. Apart from God I am nothing. My worthiness itself is a gift. In the Catholic Church there is a prayer that says, “O Lord, I am not worthy to receive you. Speak only the word and my soul will be clean.” It is a prayer of confession but look at it. We are not worthy until He makes us worthy. We are worthy to come into His presence because He makes us so. Spend time with the Giver of all things. He is certainly worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows