Cheer Up

A cheerful heart is good medicine but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
Proverbs 17:22


When I was younger I thought religion and anything that involved religion had to be serious. I thought that because it was what I was taught. When I began to develop my own relationship with Jesus I still believed that I had to be serious, almost solemn, about it. My views on religion were bleeding all over my faith. I am not by nature a very serious person, responsible yes but not serious. There is a touch of humor to be found almost everywhere but to be a “good Christian” I had to forget that and take life more seriously. It was rough going for awhile as I tried so hard to be “good.”

Eventually, through Scriptures like this proverb and truly getting to know Jesus I realized I had been right all along. There is a touch of humor in most things. Sometimes we have to be serious and tragedy is just that, tragic, but whenever possible find something to smile about. There are some amazingly blessed people who find some little occurrence and laugh about it even in the midst of their very worst days. We all need to find things to smile about or better yet find something to giggle about and take that further to laughing out loud.

If you think there is nothing to smile about visit a pre-school and listen to the little ones or watch teenagers interact. From very different perspectives both are comical. God wants us to laugh and relax. Without frequent bursts of humor or downright silliness we begin to take ourselves too seriously. We can become too heavenly minded to be any earthly good. Watch a silly movie, hang out with a two-year-old or just sit and people watch, but find something to laugh about. It will definitely improve your spirit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows