Cool Praying

Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. John 16:24

How many books do you suppose have been written about prayer? I wouldn’t even begin to guess. There are books for spouses, parents, teachers, doctors, singles, men, women, etcetera. I own a few and there are others I would like to own. With the number of books, essays and sermons on prayer, it seems that it must be a fairly complicated thing right? I’m not sure it is. I wonder if we make it harder than it has to be.

My grandson Joey and I love the movie “Cool Runnings.” One of our favorite scenes is when Derice is trying to convince Sanka to join the bobsled team. Derice is a lovely, very charming guy and Sanka has been his friend since they were children. Derice approaches Sanka with this whole speech about friendship and loyalty. Sanka says no. He then says to Derice, “Derice, if you want me to do something, just ask me. Just say, ‘Sanka, you are my best friend. We’ve been through a whole heap together and I really, really need you.’” Derice gives Sanka the exact speech and Sanka says no but then laughs and says of course he will do what Derice wants.

From the first time he watched the movie Joey has been able to quote that scene. When he wants something from me and he’s pretty sure I won’t want to do it he quotes, “Grammy, you are my best friend.” He can do the whole thing word for word complete with a Jamaican accent. It’s hysterical and sometimes, often, it works. What would have been a no becomes a yes because the kid is so funny and adorable. When he looks at me with those big old blue eyes and says, “I really, really need you.” I’m done, unless of course, what he is asking is really not good for him.

I love Joey. He is my firstborn grandchild. He spent the lion’s share of his early years in my home. We have been through a whole heap together. I would do pretty much anything for him and when he knows it, which is why he can ask with great confidence and great simplicity.

Not for one minute do I think that I love Joey more than God loves me. I should approach the throne of grace with the same confidence, first of all because I was told to, (Hebrews 4:16) but also because Jesus is my best friend and we’ve been through a whole heap together. He tells us to use his name. He has influence with our Father based on their relationship. We have the ability to use his name based on our relationship with him.

Instead of finding fancy words or saying the same thing over and over again, I think I’m going to try simple for awhile. I think I will pray, “Jesus it’s me again. You are my best friend. We’ve been through a whole heap together and I really, really need you to………………” That is what is in my heart. When I pray I feel like I am asking my dear friend for help. So why not just say so?

Jesus told us to use his name, to ask for anything we need or want. I believe that if we approach our Father with the love and trust with which Joey approaches me we will get what is best for us. We won’t always get a yes but that isn’t because we prayed it wrong or He didn’t hear us. That is because Father knows best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight