To Prosper


 

 “I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord,

“plans to prosper you and not to harm you,

plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

 
Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more
than all we ask or imagine, according

to His power that is at work within us… Ephesians 3:20

 

Yesterday I attended a group led by a man who seems to be faithful and seems also, like a nice guy. At one point during his talk he referred to “prosperity preachers” with a huge eye roll. No big deal, a lot of people do that. I noticed but I wasn’t offended or put off by it. To each his own, right? It was what happened later that made me think.

          At the end of the group there was a call for prayer requests. The first two were for people suffering with cancer. There were a couple of other requests in the health column and then one for a man who need financial help as he is currently unable to work. I wrote them down, we prayed and then all went on our way. My husband and I went to church where we sang about the never ending love of God and of putting it all on Jesus. That’s when it hit me. Wait a minute! We roll our eyes at men and women who will preach audacious faith, believing for miracles, sigh, eye roll, voice change to dripping with sarcasm, prosperity but then we ask for healing, financial help, traveling mercies etc.

          Here’s my problem. I know there are preachers who seem to be extreme. There are times that I think, oh dear, that might not be exactly Biblically accurate, but if you’re going to err in faith, why not err on the side of can do? It is then our responsibility as believers to seek God’s wisdom, to read Scripture and make sure that what we’re hearing lines up with God’s Word. When it does hold on with both hands and when it doesn’t, toss it, quickly and far away.

          Beyond that we need to look at the word prosper. It means to thrive, to flourish. The later definitions talk about money but the words thrive and flourish come first. Well friends, our Father does want us all to thrive. He loves to bless us. For some that’s money, for some health, for some joy and peace that makes other people scratch their heads in wonder.

          It just seems to me that dismissing “prosperity preaching” limits God. Pray bold and audacious prayers, pray for the huge things in your life and the tiny ones too. God has big plans for us, individuals plans for each one of us, so embrace your prosperity however it comes and trust that God is always right!

         

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight