The Mouths of Babes


 

“Do you hear what these children are saying?” they asked him.

“‘From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise?’”
Matthew 21:16


 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
Psalm 8:2 

 

 How often have you heard “out of the mouths of babes?” Did you know it was from the Bible? Given that most of us read more modern translations I think it’s safe to say many of us did not realize the origin. We use it when our children say something embarrassing or inappropriate.

          Yesterday I had the privilege and blessing to experience that verse in its truest meaning.  Two of my granddaughters, Faith and Madelyn, had spent the night with me. They came into to my office when they woke up and found me, as they hoped they would, having my quiet time. They usually asks me what I’m reading or praying about but yesterday I was writing in my blessings journal and they were very interested in that, knowing they would find their names written there.

          What began as a conversation about them, their hearts and their faith, transitioned into the subject of sin. They were talking about the hurt that comes from sin, specifically lying and/or having someone lie to them. My girls are nine and seven but they are deep thinkers. We’d moved onto how each of them is a gift from God to their mother, to my husband and me, to the world, when suddenly Madelyn, the seven year old, stopped me. “Wait Grammy, I have a question.” Her question went back to the lying topic. I answered her and she said something that stopped me in my tracks. I promise you my answer to her was nothing compared to what she got out of the conversation.

          “Gram,” she said, “ I feel like when someone is cheating or lying or something like that, Satan is laughing in God’s face.”

          Are you stunned? I was! She is seven and yet, that is the most profound and perfect description of sin that I’ve ever heard. When I think of the consequences of sin, I tend to look at who I may have offended or hurt. I know I’ve hurt the heart of God and that leads me to repent but until yesterday morning I did not have a visual concept of Satan’s reaction. Our sin is indeed cause for him to be delighted and it follows that he would gloat. Out of the mouths of babes indeed!

           Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith… 1 Peter 5:8b-9a

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows