Captive Set Free


 

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge or God and we take captive every though to make it obedient to Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:5

People say that there are no more miracles. There is a certainty even among believing Christians, that those amazing events were for a different time. I beg to differ. While I could give a long list of miracles just from my own life, I really want to share what just happened to me.

          I got up this morning with a heavy heart, my dreams having shone a lovely spotlight on the areas of my life that are far from encouraging. With my heavy heart and my restless thoughts leading the way I moved into my morning. Giving a valiant effort I tried to capture my thoughts and turn instead to prayer but every prayer opened another door of angst. UGH! I headed into my quiet time uncertain if I would be able to hear God at all and fairly sure that my gloomy mood was not going to lift. Realizing I needed to focus on God, not me, I went to my knees and prayed straight from the Scripture. I chose a Psalm that I love and before I was three verses in my heart felt lighter. A song that I love that is all about praising God came to my mind and I gladly let it sing through. Within a minute or two my anxious thoughts were captives and I was free. Miracle? I think so.

          Here’s the thing about God, He’s amazing! He always does more than what we think we need.  As I stayed on my knees in praise, thanking God for removing the heaviness and refocusing my thoughts an image came into my mind. I saw my sweet friend Brianna waving one of her many favorite things in front of her face. For Brianna that movement is calming. She focuses on the object moving in front of her and all is well. Something moving in front of my eyes like that would make me nuts. Oh, there it is! In using my precious girl, God showed me that my thoughts, the irritating, hurtful junk, were like a toy flapping in front of my face. Unlike Brianna I am not soothed by that movement and so a huge hand reached out to grab the shuddering mess and cast it away. Thoughts captive, sinner free and with a sharp image of how God meets each one of us right where we need Him. He provides Breezy with plenty of objects to hold and me (and you if you’ll let Him) with plenty of His thoughts to replace my erroneous ones.

          Submit yourselves then, to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 1:7

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight