God With Us


“The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel---which means, God with us.” Matthew 1:21

This morning I read a devotional message about God’s majesty. It referenced remembering that God is mighty, sovereign, huge. It easy to get so comfortable with the idea of the constant Companion that God is to us and forget that He is also so far above us. He is such a dear and present friend that it is easy to forget that He is Almighty.
After reading that message, I sat with God. First I thanked Him for the closeness I can and do feel with Him. Then I asked to be more aware of His awesomeness, His uniqueness, His majesty.

For the last several weeks I’ve been experiencing a personal struggle. I haven’t wanted to ask for prayer from anyone. The struggle seemed to me, like a lack of faith. A few weeks in and I began to see this as something bigger. We hear and read about the battle for our souls. It is pictured as an actual physical battle that goes on while we are unaware. As I prayed the other morning I could actually picture that conflict. I’m pretty sure I know why it’s happening and I’m not willing to change. In fact I’m more determined than ever to stay the course. Still, I need to be victorious and I am well aware of where victory lives. Knowing I needed support I reached out to two people I love. They prayed and I believed that things would improve. I have God’s Word to stand on and two dear ones standing with me.

Back to this morning. I prayed, as I said, for a heightened awareness of God as God. His loving Father presence has been quite clear to me. I’ve leaned on Him, clung to Him and talked to Him incessantly. It was time for a glimpse of the side of Him that takes my breath away and renders me silent, awestruck.

He answered in spades!

Today was Sunday and shortly after praying for that glimpse, we headed to church. I love church but quite honestly I don’t often have my big God and me moments there. The worship I participate in at church is different from the more intimate moments of my quiet times. Today was different. The music, the message, the entire service spoke to the questions in my heart, the hesitation I’ve felt about asking for prayer support. That message and those songs were not chosen with me in mind, I barely know either of the pastors involved. This was not man ordained but it certainly was God ordained.

I asked to see His majesty and He showed me, in blazing glorious color with sound to match. Is my struggle over? That remains to be seen. If it is, if deliverance is immediate, praise God! If it’s a process with more to be learned and/or shared, praise God.
The important thing is that I know God is with me, Immanuel. He promises over and over in His Word that He will not leave or forsake us and we can believe that. He promises that no weapons formed against us will prosper and beyond that He sends us encouraging words, sights and even people to bolster our faith. We are not alone nor do we have reason to fear. Our God is an awesome God. Believe it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows