A Lesson From the Not So Elderly*










I can everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

I live in a town where there is a grocery store whose advertising tagline is, “where shopping is a pleasure.” Years ago when my four children, all born in a five year span, were all very  young shopping was a pleasure. We had some great times running our errands.  Still with four small children, it was also an adventure.
When my second son started pre-school, I started doing some of the heavier shopping with just my two little ones, Jeffrey and Laura. The two of them were, and still are, quite colorful personalities. Suffice to say there is rarely a dull moment if either of them are around and never a dull moment when they’re together. Growing up they were best friends and they created alter egos, Mr. and Mrs. Biddy. I can only speculate as to where they got the name but they nailed the stereotype of “old couple.” He would wear his dad’s cap and a vest from an old suit and she would wear the hat I wore for my wedding and a crocheted shawl. Try to get the image, two fairly chubby, absolutely adorable little kids, four and a half and three years old, with their cute little kid outfits, covered over in the best “old” people style they could find. At home the outfits got much more elaborate but for public consumption we kept it to the hats, vest and shawl.

Mr. and Mrs. Biddy loved the grocery store, in particular, they loved the one with the toy shopping carts. When we went there, the Biddies would get their own cart and I would send subtle hints for things they could “buy.” “Oh look, this cereal is on sale. Do the Biddies like this cereal?” After a brief consultation, in halting, wavering, “old” voices, they would chose to buy or not buy whatever I was suggesting.

One day I was shopping for more than our family. We had company coming to stay so my focus was a bit off the couple shopping with me. I didn’t make many suggestions which left room in their cart. When we got to the checkout I put my things on the belt and the Biddies put theirs on right behind me as usual. The young woman at the checkout smiled at them and spoke to them as if they were truly a separate entity from me. Then she turned to me and asked, “Are you paying for the elderly couple’s groceries?” Something in her tone alerted me and I realized that I had no idea what those sweet “old” people had purchased.

I looked at the belt and saw six bags of egg noodles, his favorite and six bags of marshmallows, her favorite. Did we need those things? No. Did I want to find room in my pantry for them? No. But there they were my two precious gifts, hunched over, leaning into each other, as I suppose they believed all old people to do, discussing their lunch options because of course after a long morning of shopping old people need a nice lunch and a bit of a rest. “Of course,” I answered the clerk. “Those are my favorite old people in the world.” She grinned at me and they, secure then in the knowledge that their purchases were not going back on the shelf, giggled like the children they truly were and gave me quick hugs before dropping right back into character.
“Well, thank you, young lady.” I was told by Mr. Biddy, gruffly with an accompanying throat clearing.

“Isn’t she sweet?” His wife added, in her reed thin, watery older lady voice. 
That is a precious, precious memory for me. I can see them as clearly as if it were yesterday. Thinking of it I have to remind myself that he is now well over six feet tall, a handsome, responsible father of three. She is a beautiful young lady, all grown up whose own daughter, the second of three, has inherited her marshmallow addiction.

Recently I’ve realized it’s more than a great memory. It is a perfect illustration of how our Father loves us. The Biddies placed items in their cart for which they had no money. They did it in the hope that I, their mama, would come through for them. Every day I go to work, love my family and friends and in general live my life on a strength I do not personally possess.
Mr. and Mrs. Biddy did their shopping based on the knowledge of my love for them.  Friends we can live our lives with a much higher level of expectation. The expectation that all of our needs and many of our wants are provided for us by a loving Father.

Give him some praise today. Thank him for his providence, mercy and grace. And hey, if it suits you, eat some noodles and marshmallows.  
*I dedicate this message to two of my favorite people, two of my very best blessings, Jeffrey and Laura. Thanks for the laughs and the love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight