Shine Baby, Shine



In the same way, let your light shine before men
that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:16


Every morning before we go our separate ways, my husband and I pray together. Almost every day one or the other of us asks God to shine his light through us. Of course we want to be beautiful reflections of the love and light of Jesus. Here in this verse from Matthew, however, Jesus asks us, no, tells us, to let our light shine.

Each of us has been given gifts and talents. Those were given to us to use for God’s glory, for his kingdom purposes. We are not to hide them, bury them, ignore or minimize them. We are to use them, let them shine. Why? To draw attention to God.

When I give gifts I spend a lot of time on them. Whether it’s a purchased gift or something homemade, I think of the recipient. I try to give a gift I know they want or need, something they will use and enjoy. I get very frustrated when after spending time and/or money I never see the fruit of the gift. I’m not talking about thank you notes here. I’m talking about seeing the gift in use. Let’s use the example of a lawn mower. Suppose I saved, researched, shopped and finally purchased a lawn mower for my son. Then week after week drove by his home to see his lawn growing shaggier and looking totally neglected. Add to that, my son’s complaints. “I hate how my lawn looks! Man, I wish you’d help me with that. It looks awful!” What am I thinking? “Really? Really? I gave you a LAWN MOWER!” It’s a goofy analogy but it works. I’d be thinking, “Come on, kiddo, mow your darn lawn.”

What talents and gifts has God given you? What light is within you that God wants you to shine? We all have gifts and talents, every single one of us. Is yours sitting on a shelf?

I’m a feeder. I love to feed people and I’m pretty good at it. That isn’t boasting, that’s my gift. God blessed me with the ability to cook and bake and I’m not afraid to use it. I do wonder at times though, if I’m missing other gifts. I tease that I have very few talents and therefore I use the ones I have as often as possible. And yet, I pray that God will push me farther. If I have other talents, other spots of light, then I want to use those as well.

I’m getting older. Who isn’t right? As I get older I become less timid and I’ve begun to take some risks. It can be scary but I like it. I’ve flopped and I’ve soared. It’s great, as long as I’m listening to God.

Jesus said, “Shine your light.” We all know that light is a gift from God and we should not be afraid to use it. It will make you feel great and much more important show appreciation of and to your Father.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows