Holiday Inn


While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in the manger, because there was no room in the inn. Luke 2:6-7





December is here. It’s Christmas time. I know that because my street is alive with colored lights and every store I pass by is busy. I hear conversations about this party, that dinner and who is giving what to whom. I hear very little if anything at all about Jesus.

Due to the eagerness of advertisers and businesses we have all been primed for the season since the middle of October and each day that brings us closer to the 25th intensifies the onslaught. I hear about stress and too many commitments. I wonder myself if we can celebrate the holiday without any harsh words about where, how and with whom to celebrate.

Our pastor has a tradition of basing his Christmas sermon around some trinket he can give as a reminder of his message, the message that we are who we are because of Jesus. He makes sure to have many more trinkets than the normal number of attendees. That’s smart planning because many people come to church on Christmas who can’t be bothered any other day. The visit to church is part of the season, not a matter of faith. They at least make an attempt and hear the Word. Many other people use the excuse that the church is too full. They stay away because churches are so crowded at Christmas. Is the church too full? Or is it their hearts that are too filled with the commercial to make room for the sacred?

December is here. I know it because in my prayers I’m seeing a tiny baby Jesus rather than the man who gave His life for me. It happens to me every year, for a few weeks Jesus is a baby all over again. That is lovely because it reminds me of the whole story. The baby was born in Bethlehem and later died on Calvary and all to give me a chance to live. Baby Jesus. Over two thousand years ago there was no room for that precious baby in the inn at Bethlehem. Is there room in your holiday inn for that baby this year?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight