The Gift Box

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

I read an account of children in El Salvador receiving Christmas gift boxes prepared by American children. It was in a book by Max Lucado. He spoke of the excitement the children feel at receiving toys, books and personal items but that the part they enjoy the most is the letter that comes from the other child. He made many eloquent and touching points comparing that gift to the gift that God gave to us in the form of Jesus. There was one line though with which I disagreed. He said that for us the box, which is Jesus doesn’t come with toys, books etc that Jesus is the gift.

While I agree that Jesus is the main gift and in fact the only gift we need I believe there are other gifts involved. In fact I believe that every good thing in my life comes from that gift box from God. My family, my home, my health all of those are gifts from a loving Father. There are other things too, like a phone call from a friend when I am feeling particularly alone, the knowledge that someone really needed my help or was glad to see my face. Even that extra little bit of cash right when I need it is a precious gift. There are so many things that are gifts from God. I’m sure you can make quite a list of your own, can’t you?

The other thing that struck me about the passage was the children’s delight with the letter. We too have been given a wonderful letter full of all the ways our Father is here for us. Full of the love he feels for us, enough love to send Jesus to die on the Cross. Each page of the Bible is a blessing just as the letters written from one child to another are blessings.

Those poor Salvadoran children only experience that happiness and excitement once a year, for us, that excitement is at our fingertips everyday. We don’t have to wait a year we only have to pick up our Bibles and read God’s love letter to us.

Don’t wait for a special occasion, reach out now and let the love of God fill your day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight