He Does It His Way

I know that the Lord is great,
that our Lord is greater than all gods.
The Lord does whatever pleases him,
in the heavens, and on the earth, in the seas and all their depths. Psalm135:5-6


“The Lord does whatever pleases him.” That sounds a bit arrogant taken out of context. If I say of someone, he does whatever pleases him, most likely I am describing someone selfish or thoughtless. These words are describing God, who is neither selfish nor thoughtless. Reading this psalm however, I wondered what a person who is just coming to know God or opens the Bible for no reason other than to disprove it, thinks of that passage.

It would be pretty scary to serve a god who “does what pleases him” if that god didn’t care about people. Thankfully what pleases God, the one true God, is to care for us, teach us, prosper us and bring us home. Jeremiah 29:11 is a verse a lot of people know and love. It says “I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” A god whose plans are to give hope and prosperity, a god who is concerned with the future of his people, a god who wants what is best for those who love him, that’s my kind of god. In fact that is my God.

When my children were young I planned all of their activities and created schedules for them that best suited their needs. They are all adults now and they don’t need me to do that for them. They haven’t needed it in quite some time but I wonder if they ever wish that I still would. They know that I have always had their best interests at heart. Of course a toddler may not agree with mommy’s assessment of what is best for him. At that point the toddler fights. How close is that to how we act with God some times. The enormous difference being that I am fallible and He is not.

I wonder if my children want me to arrange their lives because I very much want my Father to arrange mine. The problem is that I don’t always let Him. I love the idea that God will do what pleases Him because His ways are right and best. Just like a toddler though, I balk at that when His way is not my way. It may make me irritated at worst or just confused but I know which one of us should have the final word.

“The Lord does whatever pleases him.” Isn’t it wonderful that what pleases Him is to protect us, provide for us and love each of us as we were His only child? He does it His way and His way is perfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows