Multi-tasking

Speak lord for your servant is listening. 1 Samuel 3:9b

Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth. Psalm 46:10


I heard a teaching the other day that is in complete opposition to everything the world teaches. It was about multi-tasking. If you are anything like me the mention of those words brings a certain strange type of prideful reaction. “I’m a multi-tasker.” Again if you’re anything like me you aren’t going to like what comes next.

The teaching was on doing one thing. The minister giving the talk spoke of doing one thing at a time not trying to accomplish so much. She talked about how we’ve been trained (see it isn’t our fault) to think that doing ten things at once is admirable. As she spoke I thought of how often I have heard those conversations or God help me been in them.

Person 1: “Yesterday I had soccer for the kids and Jack had a party at work. Plus on the way to soccer I had to pick up the dry cleaning and find a way to feed the kids. Oh and I forgot it was my day to bring snacks.”

Person 2: (answering smugly) “Oh really? I didn’t have that much just Jenny’s birthday party, plus Al’s dental appointment, picking up my sisters kids and oh yeah solving the national debt problem.”

You know you‘ve heard it even if you haven’t said it. It’s the, my dog’s bigger thing, only with lists. My list is longer and more important. While we’re raising Mia Hamm and throwing world class birthday parties for 2 year olds where is God?

Our Father speaks to us for the most part in a still small voice. If we don’t take time to hear we either miss it or force him to shout. I hate to think I would put anything before listening to the God of the Universe but I’m afraid I do. As for shouting, well, God shouted at Saul/Paul and we all know that he spent the next few minutes looking at the wrong side of a horse. He may not have heard our Lord on the horse’s back but he heard it under his rump.

Slow down. Do one thing at a time and do it well. As you work, drive, cook or whatever fills your list, listen. There just may be the wonderful sound of your Daddy calling you

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows