But for the Grace of God

But because of his great love for us God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ, even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.
Ephesians 2:4-5


Through my life I have heard and used the title of this message repeatedly. Disaster strikes someone near to us or similar to us and we think, “there but for the grace of God go I..” True! I used to work with a woman with whom I had much in common. The major difference being I chose to accept salvation, to invite Jesus into my heart and she said, “no thanks.” The choice however is ours. God’s grace is available to any and all who will open their hearts and take it.

Over the last year or more I have watched as a young man I know, I’ll call him James, chose to reject the invitation of God. He has cast for himself idols made of flesh, chemicals, hops and barley, etc. etc. etc. He has lived fast and loose not caring who paid the price, not concerning himself with the needs or desires of the people around him, including his two small children. He has taken every wrong turn available in an attempt to fill the God-shaped hole.

A few months back I met another young man, Steve, who looks very much like James. He even carries himself like James in some ways. The major difference between them is that Steve said yes. He said, “Give me Jesus.” I see him in church praising God and I am taken back. The physical similarity to James is remarkable but it is all surface.

I would tell you that the two young men smile the same. They do. But Steve smiles with the easy confidence of a young man secure in his Father’s love. James smiles just with his lips. The love of God is rich and fulfilling. It is life giving and affirming. The love of idols is empty, destructive and sometimes painful. The smiles of these two young men will prove that to you in a split second.

Did God never offer His grace to James? Is Steve just more blessed? No! The same God made the same offer to both young men and by His grace Steve said yes. Out of blindness and the assurance that the world had better to offer James said no, repeatedly. He has pretended to say yes in attempts to get people off his back about his behavior but he has never truly embraced a relationship with Jesus.

Watching Steve one Sunday, his face so alive with love and with health, I could see God’s hand on him. Three days later I saw James and the contrast was palpable. James’ eyes are dead. His spirit is defeated. He is sad and weary. Idol chasing is destroying him.

It isn’t over for James and I am hoping that by God’s grace I will see him in some posture of worship. In Steve I see what James could be, what he could look like and I want it for him.

I don’t know Steve well, so I don’t know what he would say were his reasons for accepting Christ. I do know this, that decision has made all the difference. He is a very talented young man and that talent could have become his idol. He could have used that to buy, create and abuse other things that would become idols. Instead Steve chose to accept God’s grace and I hope and pray that one day James will too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight