What’s in a Name

The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. John 10:3

For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” Romans 10:12-13


I grew up in a city divided, not by angst or law or water but by nationality. While most of the teasing was lighthearted and there weren’t any real problems, still the city was clearly defined by section. The Irish, the Polish, the Italians, etc all had their own little niche. During my growing up years I was defined by nationality and religious denomination. It never occurred to me to find that odd. We were Irish first, Catholic second and oh yeah, American. I certainly saw myself as Irish more than American even though both of my parents were born right in that same city in Upstate New York.

Years later while teaching a sixth grade religious education class I said something to the kids about being Christian. One little boy got very upset with me. He insisted that he was not a Christian. He was a Catholic. I laughed and tried to explain it all to him. The next week he came in with a note from his mother asking me to please not tell her son that he was Christian. He was a Catholic and I was confusing him. It stopped being amusing right there.

For the last week I have wrestled with a problem that involves a person I have known all of my life. He is an older man and he would tell you quite proudly that he also is a Catholic. He might also become offended if you referred to him as a Christian. In speaking to my prayer partner about this situation she referred to the Bible passages that talk about dealing with believers and non-believers. In her understanding this man is a believer. He has after all spent his life in a church. Knowing him a lot better than she does I remembered my little guy who was not a Christian. I believe this man would say the same. He isn’t a Christian. He’s Catholic and to him those are not the same thing.

I’ve come to a good resolution in my struggle but along the way I did consider my friend’s words and that led me to this message. The crux of our faith has to be the person and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. We must be Christians first and fill in the denomination second. This is not an issue seen solely in the Catholic Church. I know many lovely Baptists, Lutherans, Anglicans etc who have yet to commit their lives to Christ.

Jesus came to die for us while we were still sinners. He is the temple. It says so in Scripture. It also says that our bodies are to be temples, temples for the Holy Spirit. We are called to live our faith not to practice it on Sundays and the occasional mid-week service. That faith is a living thing that needs to breathe, to be active twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.

Where do you go to church? When you are sad, ill frightened or lonely is the answer to that question your comfort, support or strength? Now answer this, is Jesus Christ the focus of your life? If the answer is yes then it follows that he is the one you call on in times of distress and disease. No building or congregation, lovely though they may be, can be there for you at all times. Only our Lord and Savior, he alone is with us no matter what. He alone will never leave us or forsake us or let us down. He never, ever, ever disappoints. I’ve changed churches during the course of my life and I have changed denominations. I have never changed gods. There is no other than the one true God. In my church travels I have met nice people and not so nice people. I have felt at home and like an alien. But one thing remains, in every place I’ve visited or joined that housed his people; Jesus has always been there.

*Romans 10 is a great companion to this message.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight