Gestures

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father, who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ Matthew 7:21-23

These verses are a little scary! When I read them I immediately begin to assess my relationship with God. Do I show love? Am I doing His will? I always end up in the same place, asking God to show me how to love and serve Him. That seems a tad strange to me even as I am doing it.

There is a conversation that I have had with my husband that I bet most people would find familiar. Whether you are male or female I think it would be safe to say that if you are in a relationship that’s older than a month or so you know this script from one side or the other. Something in the relationship goes a little south. Someone, usually the lady (sorry girls) has hurt feelings and someone, usually the guy (sorry guys) is clueless as to how to make things right. So the lady instructs him but is quick to add, “I shouldn’t have to tell you how to do this. You should know how to love me/make me happy/fix this problem.”

Being one of those ladies I know that it just doesn’t seem right to have to tell my husband what has to be done. Doesn’t he just love me enough to see and know what I want? The truth is yes, he usually does but when I get into that hurt feelings things the poor guy is too terrified of emotional land mines to take any steps. The mystery of my mood is beyond his understanding.

Let’s face it, we can study the Bible daily and never understand God. That isn’t because God is not straightforward in exactly how He wants us to behave. It is because of the same emotions and attitudes that cloud our marital conversations. God never changes but sometimes we want Him too. Free will is fine when it works for us but when we will ourselves into trouble we want that choice taken away. How much more do we want it taken away when we see someone we love free willing themselves into a hornet’s nest? God doesn’t take it away. We wander off the narrow path and then we aren’t sure how to do God’s will.

The problem is that when I have hurt feelings I need something from Otto to make them better. God doesn’t need us but He wants us the same way I want that sweet gesture from Otto. Sometimes it can be a small gesture, like a hug. Other times it takes a little more. Fortunately for us God accepts any effort or gesture that we offer to Him. We don’t have to be perfectly obedient Jesus took that burden away. We do have to do our best to stay in God’s will and to mean it when we call Him Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows