Your Passion

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord,”
plans to prosper you and not to harm you.” Jeremiah 29:11


Yesterday I heard a pastor preach on Psalm 8. He said that God has made each of us unique, that He has given us a passion and that He has a purpose for our lives. Those three words that begin with P, person, passion and purpose, each had their own little box. As I looked at my notes this morning, not reading them but just seeing them on my desk I realized that while there were Scripture references and salient points jotted in the boxes for person and purpose there was nothing noted in the passion box. Ah-ha!

Listening to the pastor as he spoke I did jot down notes about my (our) importance to God, how dearly He loves each of us. I made notes about living according to His will and purpose for my life. I even jotted down a little joke the pastor made because I knew my husband, who wasn’t able to be with me, would love it. In the passion box I made no notes, not one single word. This morning it occurred to me that while this very able pastor can lead me or you or anyone else to understand that God created us uniquely and that He loves us beyond measure. He can use Scripture to make and back up his points about our creation and our purpose but when it comes to our passion we’re on our own. That box we have to fill in without the pastor’s leading.

This particular man did share how he discovered his passion, which is to be a pastor. I could have written down all that he said about finding his passion but that doesn’t really apply to me. He and I have very few similarities in our lives. Even if we were to arrive at the very same conclusion the roads would be very different. I know my passion and I could fill in that box. Maybe you can too. The point is that no one else can fill in our passion box. A pastor, parent, spouse, friend can give us guidance and input but at the end of the day it’s all about individual choice.

What are you passionate about? What makes you smile or get excited? What makes your blood boil? Answer those questions and I think you’ll be well on your way to finding your passion and fulfilling God’s purpose. Just know that it is yours and no one can determine it for you but you, and God of course. The only seal of approval you need is God’s. He will lead you to living out of your passion once you find it and dedicate it to Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows