The Room

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Hebrews 11:1a

… while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our
great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Titus 2:13

My husband and I are standing in a room that is at once very familiar and not familiar at all. It is a room with no windows and no doors. If you’ve ever ridden the Haunted Mansion in Disney World you know what I’m talking about. You begin the journey in a room with a ceiling and walls that seemingly has no form of exit. In case you haven’t picked up on that yourself, a dark, creepy voice informs you that the only way out is his way, leaving no question in your mind that the rest of the journey is not going to be pretty. The room Otto and I find ourselves in is the same in that it has no windows, no doors and only one way out. The differences are the look of the room and the voice that is speaking to us.

Our room is full of light. I get the feeling of a very pretty, airy blue, like the blue of a cloudless sky. The impression I have of the ceiling, (I can’t see it yet) is that it is beautiful, intricate and inviting. The only exit available is the hand of God. There is no fear, real or make believe in this room. We’ve come to be here by a combination of our own decisions and circumstances beyond our control. I have no doubt in my mind that God’s amazing hand will reach in and pluck us out. I have no idea how or when. Right now I’m waiting and for the last several months many details of life have conspired in an attempt to make me worry, agonize and fall into despair. I refuse. There is no need. The room I am has no exit, to be sure, but it is an amazing room.

Go back with for a moment to the room in the Haunted Mansion, in Disney, in Florida. Most of the times I have been in that room the outside temperatures have been quite warm. The room is usually crowded and often has an unpleasant smell. It is dark and cramped, contrived to if not frighten at least upset. It usually works.

The room Otto and I are in today is not a positive place. We need help. We need out. There is a definite element of discomfort and yet, it’s okay. On the other side of the Haunted Mansion walls, things await that are intended to frighten. On the other side of our walls there is, well, we have no idea what’s out there to be honest but we do know that our Father has planned it for us and His plans are perfect. On the other side of these walls is freedom from this room. So we wait but how like God that he has even allowed blessings in our waiting.

In this room I have learned to wait expectantly and obediently. I have learned that while I still hate waiting I can use it to draw closer to God. I am quite excited to see the ceiling on my way out of this room. I am ready for the hand of God to reach in and draw me out and when He does I will tell everyone who will listen what was on the other side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows