Enjoy the Gifts

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17 The other day I was running low on paper towels. Realizing that fact, I became more aware each time I used one. Just the day before I would grab a paper towel and not think twice but once I knew that I was on my last roll, I became cautious. That made me think about God and how I handle all that He has given me. In several places in my home you will see the first half of the verse above, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights.” Those words are followed by the reminder, “Remember to thank the Giver.” I have one on the door coming into our house from the garage. There’s one on the pantry door, one on the door to our bedroom, one on our hall bathroom mirror and maybe one or two more. If someone stops to read it and gives thanks to God, that is great. That is not, however, why they are there. I put them there to remind myself that everything I have is a gift. Too often we see God’s love and generosity as something to use sparingly, as I did with my dwindling paper towel supply. We don’t want to over ask God. We don’t want to sound spoiled or incapable. Too many of us have the idea that some of our needs or wants are too trivial, that God has more important things to do and care about, so we should leave Him alone. Wrong! God’s love is the complete opposite of my paper towel dilemma. God’s love is endless and all encompassing. The more I ask of Him, the more I turn over to His guidance, the more I lean on His understanding and not my own, the more peaceful and joyful my life becomes. God cares about us to a level we cannot comprehend. Luke 12:6-7 says, “Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” God’s love and provision are endless, boundless. He wants to give us good gifts. Do we want to receive them? While my paper towel usage may need to be limited based on supply, my use of God’s love should never be limited. I, we, should be open to receive whatever God sees fit to send our way. Don’t worry about being worthy. We’re not. Don’t measure today’s need or want against what may come up tomorrow. Tomorrow is a new day and God’s great faithfulness is new every morning. (Lamentations 3:22-23) Perhaps there is some earthly possession that you need to use carefully but don’t approach God with that same attitude. His love is lavish (1John 3:1) and He wants us to receive it, use it and share it, all day, every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight