Positve Attitude



Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?” Matthew 7:5

In our classroom we have a point system for behavior. The things done well earn points; things done poorly or in a negative way take points away and there are things that are just are, neither giving nor taking a point. Recently we added a category to the mix. It’s a potential point earner and the label is, “positive attitude all day/no tattling.”

          Our angels love to point out what the other student is doing or has done wrong. They also love to start arguments with each other and complain about our schedule. (Did I mention that they are pre-teens and ours is a special ED. classroom?) In an attempt to deter conversations about opposing sports teams, politics (Yes, politics, mostly the president.) and racism, we added the positive attitude point getter. It has yet to make a real impact but we remain hopeful.  

          Hopeful that the thought of an extra point will keep them focused on their own behavior with no thought to what the others are doing.  Drop the measuring stick and take off the judge’s robe. Pick up a mirror and take care of you. Oh, and do it without complaining or criticizing. Uh-oh!

          When I look at it that way it shines a light on my life. How many times a day do I judge my brother or sister’s speck and ignore my plank? How often do I engage in less than positive speech? I may not discuss the president but I am quick to talk about a co-worker, family member or friend. If only the whole world could do it my way! My friend Mary and I say that a lot. “Oh everyone should be like us!” It’s said tongue in cheek, usually after we’ve done or said something not terribly bright or helpful. Still, there’s a little truth. If I think I’m right, then it follows that I want you to think and do as I do.

          What if we looked at our behavior on a point system? What if I could get something for being positive more often than negative? What if rather than bringing discord or hurt, I could bring more smiles, joy and peace to the world?  What if I got something for that? Oh, I do! I get to give glory to God who enables me to be a peacemaker and further blesses me for doing it.

          Too often we forget that our actions have both immediate and eternal results. For just one day measure your thoughts and actions as if you were getting points or losing them depending on the nature of those thoughts and actions. In other words, for one day see how often your words and deeds bring glory to God. It’s been eye opening for me and I pray it will be for you as well.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight