Gone



And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit. Matthew 27:50

Last night we went to church for a Good Friday service. The service was amazing. Our music director and pastor worked together perfectly to create the right mood, a very somber, dark mood. In our church that service culminates with a very loud boom which signifies the closing of the tomb. After that all is silent. Silent. People who normally greet each other, plan where to eat brunch or when to get together during the week are walking out in silence. Why? Because our reason for being, our hope is gone. Of course for us, in 2017, that is symbolic and not literal but believe me, in that moment it feels real.

Each year something stands out to me in the telling of Christ's final hours on Earth. Often it is the total betrayal from too many near and dear to Him. This year it was the fact that in those moments Jesus was gone. The service ended and our full of life pastor did not say a word. He did not say “Go in peace” as he does on Sunday because there is no peace to be shared in a world with no Jesus. A world with no Jesus.

Sitting there I knew that this was a reminder, that indeed there is very much a Jesus. He lives and reigns and He's coming back. I know this to be true but it felt awful, as it should, to hear that boom and sit in the aftermath of His suffering and death. It felt awful to me and I wondered at the intensity of loss the disciples must have felt. The Scripture says they scattered.

This morning I woke up and felt the weight of a few things that are happening in my life and in the lives of a couple of people I care for deeply. I sat up and thought how great, it's Saturday which means I have extra quiet time, more time to be with Jesus.... Oh! It hit me again, in the aftermath of the Crucifixion there was no Jesus. Today I could get up, get my Bible and be with my Savior but what of the eleven who were left after the betrayal of Judas and the torture of Jesus? Where was their hope?

Scripture says they scattered but then later it says that Jesus found them all together again. They were drawn to each other out of shared experiences, shared loss perhaps but I still wonder where and how they found the energy and ability to move, to seek each other. My husband thinks fear motivated them and maybe he's right. I know I felt an emptiness that had a bit of fear in it this morning when I thought, this is the day that we remember a world without a Savior.

Fortunately for me, for you, this is a day when we remember a world without a Savior. We look at how things were but we also know how things are now. We have a Savior and tomorrow we can all stand and say that Christ is Risen only to hear our fellow believers reply, He is risen indeed.

Thank you Jesus for the sacrifice that gives us new life and new hope every time we remember that Christ is risen, Christ is alive and Christ is coming back.

I

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight