Unlovable


 

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness...”
             So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him,
male and female he created them.
Genesis 1:26a, 27


In the past few days I've been asked to read the same book over and over. It is the current favorite of one of my students. I'm okay with reading it every day, sometimes more than once because it is adorable.

It's the story of the cutest little dog, Alfred, who thinks that he is unlovable. These thoughts are not unfounded. The cat and the parrot are quick to tease him and tell him he is unlovable. When he leaves the toxic environment of his home, poor little Alfred meets other dogs who tell him that he is too short, too fat, too much this, not enough that. Sound familiar?

Then one day a new dog moves in next door. He and Alfred become fast friends. Alfred is sure it's because a fence separates them. If that dog could see him as he truly is, the friendship would end in a hurry. When the neighbor dog decides to dig under the fence to meet Alfred, Alfred hides. Again, sound familiar?

How many times have you said, “If they really knew me.....” and ended it with a negative prediction? How many times have you changed your behavior to comply with an individual or a group because you felt “unlovable?”

Stop it! Stop right now measuring yourself by some other human's yard stick and remember this, you are the righteousness of God in Jesus Christ. By the power of the Cross, the sacrifice of Jesus we are made whole, lovely, loveable. Don't take my word for it. Take it to the Word. Take it to John 3:16, 1 John 3:1, Psalm 139: 13-14, Romans 5:8, and so many more.

Now back to Alfred. So, the other dog digs through and sniffs Alfred out as he hides in the bush. He laughs with delight as he sees that Alfred is not the golden retriever he claimed to be but short and chunky, adorable and.... identical to himself! Alfred is delighted as well. He will not lose his friend. They look exactly the same!

My children have always accused me of having love blindness. They swear I can't see the flaws of the people I love. I'll admit that my minds eye does not see the physicality of my loved ones clearly. In that way, I think I take after my Father, a little bit. Our Father in heaven does not see us as we see ourselves. He sees us as whole, lovely, absolutely loveable and His vision, like the rest of Him, is perfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows