Blinders



And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28

Someone very dear to me is going through a horrible experience right now. To protect her privacy I will call her Ann. The situation that she faces now is the stuff of nightmares. There are several possible outcomes and in Ann's shoes I can imagine that I would be allowing those awful eventualities to creep in and ruin even my best moments.

Not Ann. Ann is not a look at the bright side, leap of faith kind of person either. Ann is an ignorer.

In years past this has made me insane! You can't just put on your blinders, pick and choose your truths and decide that is the whole reality. Life just does not work that way. I hate the expression, “it is what it is” but God help me, that is too often all any of us can say. Again, not Ann. She refuses to see what is, creating for herself, an alternate scenario and literally choosing to believe that is what is. Do you see where that could be annoying and frustrating to the people around her? It is also tragically sad when you know why Ann has chosen this particular coping mechanism.

Today, however, Ann's quirk, if you will, is the perfect illustration of God working all things for our good. Previously, Ann's view has simply been denial. It's been coverup. Today because she has that unique skill she can look at her current problem and see only good outcomes. She can access the situation and walk away hopeful because, as is her way, she won't look at the reality, the truth that this could take a decidedly dark turn. In this case, Ann's odd little viewpoint will enable her to do what she has to do to get through this challenge.

For years I've read this verse and occasionally been able to see the truth of it, to see something I felt as awful because it was awful, turning and working for my good. Never before have I seen something so carefully honed, so fine tuned and so totally crazy working for good. Indeed, when God says, “all things” He means, all things.

No matter what you see in yourself or another person that seems beyond hope or salvage, remember, God works all things for good for those who love and trust Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows