Expectations


 

You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name, Jesus. Luke 1: 31

This morning I read a line in a devotional that really made me think. It said that the religious people of Jesus day had the attitude that the Messiah would get their allegiance when and if he fulfilled their expectations.  As soon as I read the words I expected a prick of guilt. Do I do that? Do I expect Jesus to meet my expectations?

Those questions made me laugh. I’ve had many reasons lately to take stock of all that God has done for me so far. I know what he is doing now and I have experienced the thrill of knowing that my future is in his hands. Do my expectations need to be met? No! Because they have been surpassed by miles and miles.

Looking around at my imperfect life, at my family, friends, job etc, I can see the myriad ways that Jesus has blessed me. There are people, things and experiences in my life that I couldn’t have asked for because they are beyond what I expected.

Jesus Christ and the simple, beautiful truth of his existence and his sacrifice, blow my expectations way out of the water.

Instead of guilt I felt pity. Pity for the people of Jesus’ days here on earth who didn’t get it and pity for the people of today who still don’t get it.  Jesus is not a means to an end, he is the end. He is the prize, the greatest gift, the biggest blessing. If he isn’t meeting your expectations then your expectations are wrong.

Having said that I will make the insufficient analogy of a young child’s visit with his grandparents.  This is the place where love is an absolute. He feels secure, accepted, desired but there is more.  In his grandparents house our little one knows that within reason, within the boundaries of safe and sane, he can have and do whatever he wants.  This is the place of ice cream sundaes not plain vanilla. This is the place of endless rounds of the current favorite game. This is the place where it seems that nothing bad can ever happen.

Now, multiply that by some huge number I can’t imagine and we’re getting close to who Jesus is to us. Having secured our place in eternity and taken abuse so that we can walk free, clean and healthy,  Jesus is not finished. He provides our ice cream sundaes, our ponies, and whatever else our hearts desire within the boundaries of safe and sane. He does not allow that which would put us at risk. He is our protector.

My heart breaks for the people who are waiting for something better, something more tailored to their expectations.  There isn’t anyone better.  All of our hopes, dreams, expectations and then some are answered in the person of Jesus Christ.  Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows