Niiice


 

“Well done my good servant!” his master replied.  Because you have been trustworthy in very small mater, take charge of ten cities.” Luke 19:17

Most people I know are grateful for a “well done.”  While it may be enough to know that we’ve given a project our all, it is still nice when someone gives us that little pat on the back.  It shouldn’t be the motivation for doing things well. We should be working to please God but it’s nice when that work gets noticed.

I spend a lot of time with a little girl who is the personification of the word encouragement.  Those of us who know her well tease that she will never have to take a spiritual gifts assessment. Her gift is very obvious. My little angel, Brianna, came into the world with what some people see as a disadvantage. Brianna has Down syndrome. What she also has is a heart that never stops looking for ways to hearten and promote the people around her. Whenever she sees someone do even the tiniest thing  well she responds with a “Niiiice!” More often than not she includes the person’s name. “Niiice Trish.” That is often said to me when I’ve accomplished some stellar task like handing her a drink or reading a story.  At our physical education time the room resounds with Brianna’s voice.  The last few weeks we’ve been bowling.  Whether her friends hit one pin or ten she yells, “Niiice!” Even that isn’t enough for our precious cheerleader. She usually adds a “good job” as well.
Thinking about Brianna I realized that is exactly how God works. Like many people I’ve thought that when I get to meet my Father it would be great to hear, “Well done, good and faithful servant.” (Matthew 25:23)  Why wait? If I listen carefully I bet I can hear him say it just as often as Brianna does.
Our Father is so pleased with us when we do exactly what he asks us to do.  Consider the day you were so kind and went out of your way to help, not your friend, but that person who for whatever reason just gets under your skin.  I bet there was a “well done” that day. 

Scripture says whatever we do to the least we do for God (Matthew 25: 34-39). When we do something large or small can’t you just imagine that like my friend Brianna God is saying “Niiiice!” While hearing “well done” at the end of my life is a great goal,  I also want to strive to please my Lord daily.

Never one to be outdone in generosity I know that whatever gift God may give to one of his children, he possesses in much greater measure. He blesses us all with special gifts and talents. He has blessed Brianna abundantly with the gift of encouragement. Thinking in terms of my sweet friend then, I have to believe that God encourages me even more than Brianna does. The difference is he isn’t quite as forceful or loud. Calling me to listen, as always for that still small voice and be grateful when I hear it.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows