A Lesson from Faith

“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me.” Deuteronomy 5:6-7
Yesterday my granddaughter, Faith, was very excited about a lesson she learned in pre-K. Faith attends a Christian school and the lesson was about Jesus. She told me all about how Jesus was accused by the “bad guys” and how he answered “calmly and without disrespect.” She took me through the whole story from accusations to heaven. When she was finished, I realized it was not their chapel day. So I asked her if she had heard the story from her teacher and she said yes. I then asked if she thought the pastor would talk about the same thing in chapel. “Yes.” She said, “And I can’t wait to see what Father Hall says about it!” I told her that I would like to hear what Father Hall said and she told me to call her as soon as I was finished at work; which I did, only to be told, by Faith herself, that she was busy and couldn’t talk right then. Her mother told me she was watching a movie. I laughed at first, not at all offended. A few minutes later I started to think about Faith’s choice and that’s when it hit me.

How many times in a week do I make a similar choice? I could pray, read my Bible, call to check on a friend but I watch the movie, read the article, or play the game instead. There always seems to be time later for God, for prayer. Then of course I pray to be used by God, to be more in tune with what He wants from me. How is that supposed to happen when, like Faith said to me, I promise to get back to Him later?

As I write this it is late in the evening. Faith has not gotten back to me and I certainly hope she is in bed right now. Again, so like her Grammy, Faith’s intentions were good. She did tell me that Father Hall did talk about that topic but she would call later. She hasn’t and as I said, it’s late.

I rest assured that Faith will tell me her story at some point. She retains information very well and there is no time limit on my end. But what about when God calls us to listen to Him or co-operate with Him and we miss the moment? That is our very sad loss. It is an amazing privilege to be invited into the projects of the Lord of all. How ridiculous is it that we would push that to the side for anything? In comparison, any and everything else we choose is mundane. Even the most wonderful things of this Earth pale in contrast to the glory of God.

Faith’s mommy was a bit embarrassed that her daughter put me off until later. I was amused at first because yesterday it was so important that I call her as soon as I possibly could. Now, I am grateful. When I am tempted to choose some ordinary activity when I feel my Father calling to my heart I will remember little Faith and hopefully, that will inspire me to make the right choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight