Follow Through

“What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the fist and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’
‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.
“Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will sir’ but he did not go.
“Which of them did what his father wanted?”
“The first,” they answered.
Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.” Matthew 21: 28-31


I missed a golden opportunity yesterday. While out running errands I saw someone who carries the scars of injuries caused to her by someone near and dear to me. Given that set of circumstances I have no idea how an approach from me would be received and that is what stopped me from approaching. It’s been years since we’ve seen each other. In fact, I don’t know that she would recognize me right away. Still, all that was necessary was a few words of greeting and possibly identification and I couldn’t do it. Oh, at the time I told myself that I didn’t want to put her in an awkward position. I told myself that it I was doing the right thing and I kind of believed that until my last wakeful moments of the day.

The very last thing I do before I turn out my lights, each and every night, is to write in my gratitude journal. That is a little chronicle I keep detailing the many ways in which God has blessed me. The writing of at least three things each night, forces a review of the day. In reviewing I remembered a moment in the early morning when I felt God reminding of the words in Joshua 1 “be strong and courageous.” I heard them in a song and for the better part of the day they stayed with me. God has used those verses with me many times and I remembered several as I went through my day. Then, I forgot to be strong and courageous. I became fully human, operating under Tricia power instead of relying on the mighty help of the Holy Spirit.

Oh no! When I realized what I had done I felt so small, so disappointed in myself and so eager for a second chance. Immediately I prayed for that second chance. I have no idea if I will get it.

This morning reading about these two brothers I thought of two of my sons, Joseph and Jeffrey. Things have changed considerably but when they were younger this passage described them. One was agreeable with no follow through and the other was argumentative but would do what you asked of him, eventually. Smiling at those memories I realized, that’s me! I’m the brother who not only said yes, but begged to be sent out, to be used and at the very next opportunity, pulled a Jonah and ran away.

Here I am now, reporting to you from the belly of the stinky fish. We suppose Jonah was really inside a real fish. I am in the belly of a figurative fish but it smells and is uncomfortable in its own way. Perhaps like dear Jonah I will get a second chance. I just hope that, unlike him, I leave the griping and complaining at home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows