Injustice

“If I said something wrong,” Jesus replied, “testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth why did you strike me?” Then Annas sent him, still bound, to Caiaphas the high priest. John 18:23-24

Reading this passage a few minutes ago I just felt sick. The voice coming from Jesus today was not the confident, calm in the face of disaster voice that I usually associate with Him in this event. It was the sad, hurt voice of someone so innocent they cannot believe you would accuse them. It was, quite frankly, the voice of a child.

To me, as a mom, there was no worse feeling than to accuse one of my children, find them guilty and set down the discipline, only to find out I was wrong. Thankfully it didn’t happen very often but even the few times I have experienced it were more than enough. To look into those sweet eyes and know how much hurt I had caused broke my heart. There are no words that make up for not believing them. If they had already served their sentence I couldn’t give them back their time or privilege either. As I said, it was very rare and for that I am grateful. But in seeing Jesus in that light I was reminded of all the children who are abused, unjustly punished and condemned for no fault of their own.

Prior to this reading today I have always seen it from the angle that has Jesus righteously indignant. In that light He sees Annas and Caiphas as fools who don’t know any better. His words, “then why did you strike me?” are more of a challenge. Bring it on boys, you’ve got nothing. Of course it doesn’t matter. Jesus knows what the outcome of the whole scenario is going to be. He knows there is ultimate victory and that one day they will realize the error of their actions.

So why did I hear His voice differently today? To remind me that when my children, the youngest of whom is 25, were younger that I made mistakes? No, I already knew that. I believe I heard Jesus as a shocked, injured, sad child because He was that along with a strong young man who knew His destiny. The lesson here is that Jesus is with us in all of our trials. He knows what it is like to be falsely accused and mistreated for no real reason.

Many of us have suffered abuse in our past. It is hard to overcome that hurt. It is impossible on our own but if we can see Jesus standing beside us asking right along with us, “why are you hurting me?” then healing can begin much faster.

Jesus stood before His accusers pure and perfect. He stood and with precious humility and no guile He asked, “why did you strike me?” His accusers had no answer. Perhaps neither do yours. Thank God that in that moment of hurt and humiliation you were not, are not alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight