But God

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

A friend of mine is suffering today. She has cancer and not for the first time. From all reports, her latest medical treatment went well and she has not had any terrible effects. I guess that means physically, at least for the moment, she is not suffering. But her heart and soul are different matters. In that sense she is suffering. This is a woman who knows only too well, much too well, the ravages of cancer. She lost a loved one to the disease already, and just one year ago we all lost a dear friend. This is not new territory. It makes me ask why?

This news of my friend’s illness comes at a time when many other friends are sharing stories of challenges, aggravations and horrible fears. All of this comes to me as I am taking a look at my own faith and praying to hang on. Too many of my prayers, including the ones for my sweet friend, seem to be receiving the same answer, no. Not just a simple no either but, NO!

It would make logical sense to take a step back, to reexamine my belief system and everything on which it is based. I was just about to do that when this news came to me about my friend and oddly enough, that is what put the steel in my spine. This is truly where the rubber hits the road. Do I believe or just say I do? Am I a true friend of God? Or a fair weather friend who leaves when things don’t go my way?

I do not understand why so many people that I care about are struggling. I don’t begin to see why enough isn’t enough already. Tried, tested and proven describe my friend and yet here we go again. None of it makes sense but this I know, God is God.

The words that change any situation are, but God. We could not conceive a baby, but God…. My mother refused to even hear the name Jesus, but God…… I didn’t think we’d ever get out of debt but God…. No one should ever have walked away from that car crash, but God….. They said she wouldn’t survive the week but God…..

In any given moment I can choose to turn my back on God. He does not hold me captive. I am not chained to Him nor does He demand my presence. I could walk away but seriously, where would I go? Who would I talk to or confide in? Who would send comfort into each and every one of these intolerable situations? No one, but God.

God does not hold me captive, except He does, because thirty-two years ago I gave Him my heart. I am not chained to Him by anything but the bonds of love and mercy. He does not demand my presence but there is nowhere I want to be more than with Him. I could live my life any way I want to, but God has the best plan for me.

All the worries, concerns and woes that have been shared with me are valid as are my own. We could let them defeat us or we can choose hang on in faith and wait for the, but God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows